Americans targeted at Owens Airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The article below is very disturbing to me because I remember the same thing happening to American tourists in the Turks and Caicos a couple of years ago. Several Americans were arrested because a single bullet was found in their luggage at the Provo airport.

I remember that in one case a retired physician in his 80s was arrested and spent 3 nights in a T&C jail because no judge was available to set bail. The individuals that had been arrested were expected to return to Provo for trial or forfeit their bail money but eventually the T&C government decided to drop the charges.

What is the sense in carrying a single bullet in your airline luggage? This seems like a deliberate attack on American tourists to me.

American man charged after bullet found in carry on luggage - Cayman 27

Posted By Mona Tatum

Wednesday, 2 September 2015 6:55 pm

A 67-year-old American tourist was arrested at the Owen Roberts International Airport on Sunday (30 August) after a live bullet was found in his carry on luggage.

HMS Customs officers took Jeffrey Barker into custody and he was later charged with possession of an unlicensed firearm under Cayman Islands law.

This marks the 11th arrest of this kind since the beginning of the year.

“A passenger was outbound leaving the island to go to the United States, and as a result of our partners at the airport, it [the bullet] was detected going out. We were subsequently called and we actually began the investigation, arrested, charged and the person has appeared in court and was convicted,” said Marlon Bodden who is the Deputy Collector of Customs in charge of enforcement.

In court on Tuesday (1 September), Mr. Barker was ordered to pay an $800 fine. He has since left the Cayman Islands.

I don't know, but carrying a live bullet in your luggage, or any where else on your person, in an airport is not very bright. I don't think being an American has any thing to do with it.

In the earlier cases in the T&C Provo airport it was believed that the bullets had been planted in the luggage of the tourists.

A lot of people handle your luggage, it wouldn't be hard to slip a bullet into a zipper pocket/compartment to incriminate someone.

I don't fully understand. Is the assumption that the police placed the bullet in his luggage? That is some high risk behaviour for $800, but if true would be pretty scary.

I mean if not, then who carries a bullet on a plane? Bullets can be used a weapons even without a traditional firearm. A bullet could be fired during flight with a makeshift barrel and something to act as a firing pin. While I think it is highly unlikely that this man had sinister single-bullet intentions, it isn't impossible that someone would attempt to create mayhem with a bullet. My understanding from the article is that he left the island 2 days later after paying an $800 fine. That doesn't sound like he was targeted as am American. If anything it sounds like he was given the benefit of the doubt.

You should subscribe to the TSA twitter accounts. I cannot believe how many people try to carry weapons and ammunition through the security checkpoints.

I also cannot believe how many people use a bag to carry weapons and ammunition and then use that same bag for traveling. The bag will have residue from the ammunition that can be detected and, occasionally, the errant round of ammunition.

Follow this twitter account for a glimpse of the carelessness of people at airports: https://twitter.com/TSAmedia_LisaF

You should subscribe to the TSA twitter accounts. I cannot believe how many people try to carry weapons and ammunition through the security checkpoints.

I also cannot believe how many people use a bag to carry weapons and ammunition and then use that same bag for traveling. The bag will have residue from the ammunition that can be detected and, occasionally, the errant round of ammunition.

Follow this twitter account for a glimpse of the carelessness of people at airports: https://twitter.com/TSAmedia_LisaF
Also avoid lawn fertilizer getting on your luggage, and that will set off a close inspection.

I get the TSA weekly email, and it amazes me how many try to board with guns. How dumb. And allowing even one live round to go in your bag is just too careless.

Now, some of these cases could indeed be set-ups, shakedowns, corrupt cops who get a cut of the fines. It happens. It's happened in my lifetime a hundred miles from my home.

The idea that Cayman is targeting US tourists is absolute nonsense. The rules are equally strict for tourists from ANY country. What concerns me is that the bullet passed undetected through TSA in the US in luggage on route to the Caymans. Anyone foolish (read "stupid') enough to have a live round in his luggage when traveling to a country where that is forbidden deserves what he gets.

I agree with keyshunter. Live ammunition on an international flight should be a zero tolerance issue. Maybe this case will set an example for other idiots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom