American pickers tomorrow night at my buddies house 9.00 pm history channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Lev

Contributor
Reaction score
According to my buddy Leon Lyons Americam Pickers will finally show when they visted him about a year ago. It is to air tomorrow night at 9.00 pm EST on the History Channel. For those who don't know who Leon is. He has one of the biggest collection of hard hat helmets in the world and has written a book on them. Helmets of the Deep. Soon to come out with another book even bigger. He also has many other collections. Over 1,500 vintage dive knives and over 500 vintage underwater cameras and housings. I hope it last more than a few minutes at his place.Can't wait to see it.I like watching the show but can't stand Frank.

Great show, although I expect on Australian TV we are seasons behind you. Don't often see them picking much dive equipment.

We get the Program in the UK on "Dave" channel on one episode they visited lots of "Scubapro" stuff in a show case but the seller wanted big bucks

You can try buying his book if has any. He's been getting deposits on them for the last ferw years. It isn't a cheap book either. I think around $300 to $400 U.S. It's best to send a deposit on one. There are few leather bound ones. Those are much more.

Mike,
As always thanks for posting about the show tonight.

Leon's first book Helmets of the deep has been sold out for many years. I was fortunate to have obtained copy number 500 of 1000 copies printed which Leon lavishly inscribed to me. The book was further enhanced by numerous other inscriptions . I was at a social gathering a short time after I received my copy in which all the living American helmet manufactures were present (Kirby, Morgan, and Ratliff (RatHat) which they also inscribed the book as well as many of the members of the first Historical Diving Society (HDS) and all of the founding Board of directors of HDS ( I was the first and only Director of Sport Diving for HDS)

There were 1000 hard cover books printed which were priced at $300.00 each (plus $15.00 Shipping) which were immediately grabbed by collectors world wide. The deluxe leather bound edition sold for $500 and I suspect it is also sold out. I have a friend who is really into the helmets who owns or owned a copy of the deluxe edition

Since it's publication it has become a very expensive collector's prized tool. At one time it was selling for $4000.00 plus dollars. I have a synopsis some where. perhaps posted on this board of the buying/selling frenzy of this book. If it is still floating around in cyber space I will post.

Leon sent me a CD of his museum...What a world class collection! I assume you also have a copy perhaps you could post it?

As you know I have one, if not the largest private diving libraries in the world. As with the late Nic Icorn, Leon often calls on me to identify a particular piece of equipment....some items I can recall from my youth or by a bit of research, others? Well? As is often stated when a patient presents strange symptoms ...GOK? (God Only Knows)

All divers should be thankful that the diving world has Leon and his book and his museum...I certainly am thankful and appreciate his efforts

SDM

Hello Sam good to see you back. I had a copy of his first book. Paid $500 in a book store for it. Sold it for $1,700. This was a quite a few years ago. I have been to his house a few times. I took many pics of his collection. I will post some pics if he dosen't mind. I know the pickers didn't get much off him. No toys for the fat man.You wouldn't believe how it is all done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom