Amed on a tight budget ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings all -

I'm considering a week or so of budget diving based in Amed in late September. I've done hotel/resort-based trips in Tulamben and Padang Bai before, and I'm not interested in basing in either of these places this time. What I'm looking for is ...

A well-run budget homestay (breakfast included) in Amed located such that I can walk to the beach with my gear to do shore entry or jukung dives. I want to be close enough to a dive operation that I can rent tanks and get them to my beach entry (or have someone deliver them to the beach) without significant problems. And obviously I hope to do this close to some of Amed's better dive sites. I'll probably also get up to Tulamben for a day or two of diving.

I prefer more coral and/or walls than muck, since I'll be going to Lembeh a few weeks later and will get my muck fix there. I'm a photographer but not a hardcore perfectionist. I don't own any serious macro equipment and I won't have a specific critter list to check off ... I just want some enjoyable dives.

Did I mention this is a budget trip? That constraint has to be observed when I make my plan. Thanks in advance for any help offered!

PS - If anyone here on Scubaboard is going to be in the area, I'd be happy to hook up for some dives!

Last edited:
I can't help with a specific suggestion, but having been going to Bali since 1991 I can say that there is masses of accommodation options. I'm sure that when you there and walk around you will find something for your budget. The other option would be to email the dive shop and ask if the guides could put you in touch with a homestay.

Enjoy beautiful Bali !

Greetings all -

I'm considering a week or so of budget diving based in Amed in late September. I've done hotel/resort-based trips in Tulamben and Padang Bai before, and I'm not interested in basing in either of these places this time. What I'm looking for is ...

A well-run budget homestay (breakfast included) in Amed located such that I can walk to the beach with my gear to do shore entry or jukung dives. I want to be close enough to a dive operation that I can rent tanks and get them to my beach entry (or have someone deliver them to the beach) without significant problems. And obviously I hope to do this close to some of Amed's better dive sites. I'll probably also get up to Tulamben for a day or two of diving.

I prefer more coral and/or walls than muck, since I'll be going to Lembeh a few weeks later and will get my muck fix there. I'm a photographer but not a hardcore perfectionist. I don't own any serious macro equipment and I won't have a specific critter list to check off ... I just want some enjoyable dives.

Did I mention this is a budget trip? That constraint has to be observed when I make my plan. Thanks in advance for any help offered!

PS - If anyone here on Scubaboard is going to be in the area, I'd be happy to hook up for some dives!
How little do you want to spend?

In the greater Amed area, many of the dive shops offer a bed and a cold-water shower (and it really isn't that cold) for <$US10. On a budget you can eat quite well for $US20 a day (you may become tired of Nasi Goreng/Mi Goreng though)

No one would confuse these with a 4-star hotel, but you did say cheap. . . I got my OW in Jimbaran Bay, and have dove with the local operator (EcoDive) several times since. This is more muck than coral, but if you go down the road just a bit to Gili Selang you'll get your coral (and a brisk drift dive)

I can't help with a specific suggestion, but having been going to Bali since 1991 I can say that there is masses of accommodation options. I'm sure that when you there and walk around you will find something for your budget. The other option would be to email the dive shop and ask if the guides could put you in touch with a homestay.
Enjoy beautiful Bali !

Thanks for the reply. I get that there are masses of accommodation options ... that's kind of the problem, the weeding out part, when you arrive with a duffel full of dive gear, no transportation, and have to shuffle up and down the hillside checking them out. I'd like to at least get some ideas before I show up in order to minimize that process. Your suggestion of getting some direction through a dive shop is a good one.

How little do you want to spend?

In the greater Amed area, many of the dive shops offer a bed and a cold-water shower (and it really isn't that cold) for <$US10. On a budget you can eat quite well for $US20 a day (you may become tired of Nasi Goreng/Mi Goreng though) No one would confuse these with a 4-star hotel, but you did say cheap. . . I got my OW in Jimbaran Bay, and have dove with the local operator (EcoDive) several times since. This is more muck than coral, but if you go down the road just a bit to Gili Selang you'll get your coral (and a brisk drift dive)

Nahhh ... I never tire of nasi goreng & mie goreng ... if they're done right. :wink:

Try Divers Cafe, they have a couple of decent rooms there and it's very central to Jemeluk

Try Divers Cafe, they have a couple of decent rooms there and it's very central to Jemeluk
Thanks Mike. Good tip that I'll definitely pursue ...

Back
Top Bottom