November in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI All.

I've been diving in Indonesia many times. Bali (mainly Tulamben and Padang Bai), Ambon, Lembeh, Bunaken, Raja, etc. I'm probably forgetting some. Anyway, I have most of November off, and I'm heading back. Alor Island is on my list, and I'm flying thru Bali. I'm consider Gili Air, and possibly Amed (only been once). Any suggestions by local flight or ferry? I've read Lombok is bested by Gilis, and generally rough. I like macro but I'm not unhealthily obsessed :) Learning how to use a wide angle, kinda.

Thanks!

Gili Air and Amed are close and easy, especially know they have stopped trying to make family money out of the fast boats. The fast boats are out of Amed to the Gili's in a loop (Welcome)

Bear in mind Amed and Tulumben ae next to each other and the dive sites will be common to shops in both area's - might need to check your log on where you dived in Tulumben! Still can do Amed sites as a stop off to the Gili's.

If you are through Bali, have you considered the short hop to Komodo?

PS love Amed and been three times as it is quite a nice place, last time in November last year.

If you are through Bali, have you considered the short hop to Komodo?
Well, I don"t know what is your motivation diving Gili air or Amed, but coming back from Alor or compared to the other spots you have dived, that's a step (or two) down ESPECIALLY if you're into wide angle.
As suggested above, you're missing Komodo in your list, you can easily couple both within a month time. Komodo is a 1,5 hour flight off Bali (at least 4 each day : Air Asia, Garuda or LionAir subsidiaries).
Alor is a little bit more tricky you need to go thru Kupang spend a night then 50 minutes flight to Kalabahi. There are flights connecting Kupang to Labuan Bajo, hence you don't need to fly back to Bali. (Tip for Alor be there 3-4 days before full moon)

Just a heads up. The Wings Air flight from Kupang to Alor in the afternoon is scheduled and you can buy tickets for it but it has not actually flown in almost a year. Only the early morning flight is flying. From Bali you have to overnight somewhere to get to Alor.

Just a heads up. The Wings Air flight from Kupang to Alor in the afternoon is scheduled and you can buy tickets for it but it has not actually flown in almost a year. Only the early morning flight is flying. From Bali you have to overnight somewhere to get to Alor.
I can confirm this is the case and was still like this in October. I can also confirm that I overnighted in Kupang as @Luko mentioned.

It was well worth the effort. Alor is fire.

I am not wedded to Gili or Amed. Was only because it was local.

Komodo has been on my list for a while. Looking this up now.

I am not that fussed about liveaboard- any land based recommendations ?

Go with an op like Blue Marlin that has speedboats and nitrox. Most day ops use slow boats and many don’t have nitrox which I find good for Komodo. You might even leave later, pass the slow boats, arrive the dive sites first and be first on it and move to the second site before anyone jumps for that one. You’ll be back in town earlier and can start your shower, relaxation, dinner, etc.

Some folks really like Scuba Junkie. Good balance of liveaboard and being all the way in town but I’ve never been there. You’re closer to the sites.

I live and work in Amed. Great diving with some good macro as well as typical reef and wall dives. But the fastboat to Gili no longer runs out of Amed. The government put a stop to it since there is no real harbor. Now that could change at anytime but know that a trip the the Gilis must now be done from Padang Bay.

And if you come to Amed, shoot me a message and we can meet...even if you choose another dive op to dive with

Tough one.
I tried different ones, I didn't like Blue Marlin at all despite their speed boat, they had very mundane bule guides. I am not especially keen on people overplaying the "everything is so cool" act when they don't deliver, probably my X-generation self surfacing.
My favor would go to Dragon Dive at the time they had a speedboat as well, I think they don't operate it anymore. Their place is also nice to stay.
I usually I don't do liveaboard but IMO it's still the best way to dive Komodo since you can't daytrip to the south, they have plenty of cheap and short liveaboards (4-5 days) that would allow you to cover many more spots than with daytrips, especially in november.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom