Ambitious newb: Researching PDCs and relevant background info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy! This is my first post here, but I have been doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere on the intertubes.

I am signed up for an SDI OW class at the end of the month. I have no certification at all yet. But, I have been around diving my whole life (Dad, brother, and cousins have all been certified forever), done a lot of snorkeling, and did a discovery dive in Maui last year, which felt completely at home to me.

So, I'm anticipating getting my SDI Computer Nitrox cert either at the same time as OW or immediately after. All in prep for some Caribbean diving in December. I've read up on lots of dive sites I hope to visit someday and many of those are deeper than 20m. So, I'm expecting that I will go on to get Advanced and Deep certs.

I currently have snorkeling gear but no SCUBA gear. I'm trying to decide now what I want to buy before going to Mexico in December. If money were no object I would go ahead and get everything except tanks, but that's not in the financial cards right now. So, I'm debating just getting my own computer, for now - ideally, to have it before my OW class, so I can get used to using it then. Additionally, I am very much a "buy once, cry once" (as I read someone say on here) type of person.

After reading up on everything I can find, what I THINK I want is a wristwatch computer with AI and Nitrox support.

And after reading another thread here with similar questions, I already know that there are a number of very experienced tech divers on here who think AI is useless or worse. And I do understand the reasons for those people feeling that way. But, I also understand the reasons some of the AI proponents like them. For me, just doing warm water Rec diving in the near- to mid-term, it seems like a nice convenience. All my info is in one place. Less hoses to fudge with (if it's wireless AI). More detailed info to help me learn about my own SAC. An alarm to alert me if I'm paying too much attention to the pretty fishes and don't notice that my air has gotten too low.

I understand the more experienced divers don't need that. And, on Tech dives, many want to not have it. But, from my one discovery dive, I know I'll be looking at my SPG a lot, for a while. And, at the same time, I don't yet have the habits that come from experience such that I will always remember to check it often enough. So, for my current needs, it seems like AI is a good idea.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 03:44 PM ----------

Also, from what I've read and what I believe I will want to do, it seems like having a computer that supports multiple gases is something I will want. But, I have unanswered questions relating to that subject. They include:

- People use hypoxic mixes for more BT on deep dives. But what does "deep dive" mean in this context? Is a hypoxic mix something that one might use in dives to 40m? Or does that only make sense for Tech dives that go beyond Rec limits?

- For dives to 40m or less, it still might make sense to use Nitrox and pure O2 as a deco gas, right? Or does Rec diving simply never involve switching gases during a dive? (and how said is it that I can read as much as I have on SDI and PADI sites and not already know the answer to that?)

- For dives where a gas switch is done, how is that physically accomplished (in a Rec dive scenario if that is applicable)? Do you dive with a 2-tank harness and a manifold connecting the tanks, and have the Nitrox turned on and the O2 turned off, then turn one off and the other on at the first deco stop? Do you have a completely different reg setup on the O2 tank from the Nitrox tank? Do you just use a side mounted pony bottle for the O2, with its own regulator?

- A bunch of the more expensive Rec diving computers say they support multiple gases. But, it looks like you don't enter a dive plan into the computer to tell it when you plan to switch gases. So, if you're relying on the DC to tell you when your NDL time is up, how can it know to allow you extra time because you're going to switch gases? When you program in all your different gases, does it make assumptions about what you're going to use and the order you're going to use them, so that it will reflect your extended BT capability based on all the gases you're carrying?

- And if you have AI, with transmitters for all your gases, does the DC calculate ATR based on all the gases being available? Or just based on the you're currently using?

- If the DC "knows" that you're going to, say, use Air for the first, deepest, part of the dive, then ascend and use Nitrox for a while, then stop and use O2 for deco, does it prompt you to switch gases at the right times? I guess it can't without AI.

From what I've been reading, I just have the feeling that the idea of using a DC to tell you when to head for the surface, on any dive involving more than one gas, is probably just not going to survive meeting the real world.

OTOH, if you assume that dives will always be NDL dives, to a max of 40m, with only one gas, then a PDC with air integration just seems like almost a no-brainer. Especially if you are going to use a DC anyway, and especially if the AI is via hose. I mean, how much would I pay for the cheapest PDC ($200), plus a console with a SPG ($45)? Versus, say, the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1, which is hose AI (with a compass) and which is $400.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 03:45 PM ----------

Okay, so those previous questions were really just for me to get info to understand how I would (or might) use a computer in the future. Now on to the real questions, which are finally getting around to being relevant to this subforum. :-D

- Several people in the other long thread I read suggested to the OP (who was asking about a PDC for Rec use now and Tech use later) advised him to get a Nitrox-capable PDC and use it in Gauge mode. If you're just going to use it in Gauge mode, why does it matter if it's Nitrox-capable?

I expect many of my dives to be after flying somewhere. And I don't have the budget right now to buy a PDC and a full reg set. So, if I am going to fly and rent a regulator (and BCD), then it seems to make sense that I would buy a wrist-mounted PDC. And one with wireless AI means I probably wouldn't use the AI at first (since I don't see installing my transmitter onto a rental 1st stage. But, after I eventually get my own reg set, then I could use the AI, too.

So, I've been boning up on wrist computers that are AI-capable. The least expensive I've found is the Sherwood Amphos Air, which is on sale for $680, with transmitter. And the next most is the Hollis TX-1, for $750, with transmitter. Or $500, without the transmitter.

The TX-1 looks like it has everything I would ever possibly use. It looks like it would be great for Rec diving and using the wireless AI. And, later, if I wanted to use it without the AI, on Tech dives (if I ever go that far), it supports numerous gases, Trimix, hypoxic mixes, Gradient Factors, etc.. Probably way more than I'll ever use. But, the display alone looks like it's worth the extra $70 over the Sherwood Amphos.

I saw many recommendations on here for the SW Petrel. $850 plus shipping means probably $130 more than the TX-1 (which offers free shipping from LP). I like the Petrel display. But, I think I would actually enjoy the wireless AI and the smaller size and wristwatch styling of the TX-1 more. The TX-1 even supports Buhlmann with Gradient Factors, so I think it would actually support any activity that the Petrel would, which means the Petrel offers no real advantage other than the bigger screen - for me, who has no intention of ever diving professionally, though I may eventually pursue some technical certifications just to allow me to do additional fun diving (e.g. deeper, longer, or caves). I do realize you can pay an extra $70 for VPM-B on the Petrel, which I guess the TX-1 doesn't support, nor have a way to upgrade to. But, as I said, I don't expect to dive professionally, so I'm skeptical on ever feeling like I need that. If I get to that point, I can use V-planner and do my own plan and then use any of these just as gauges, right?

I realize all that sounded like I'm just seeking some kind of validation for a decision that I already made, but I'm not. I'm really on the fence about whether to go "whole hog" with something like the TX-1, or just go inexpensive and have an analog console for pressure (and maybe depth and maybe compass). I just HATE the idea of spending even $200 on a PDC, doing OW certfication and one week of diving in Mexico and coming back wishing I had just spent the $750 in the first place.

Further, if I go the inexpensive route, I'm not sure I could really get away with $200 for the PDC. I have compared dive tables (USN, NOAA, PADI, and some others) and done other reading and have concluded that it seems like the PADI RDP is more conservative than the USN tables (I know it's a generalization, just based on a single dive - but I have also compared repetitive dive scenarios). And it seems like all the different PDCs are at least as conservative as the PADI RDP. Some (like Oceanic and Sherwood) being close to the RDP and others, like Suunto, being signifcantly more conservative than the RDP. Plus, reading on here it seems that Suunto is not well-regarded for reliability. Given all that, I think I want a PDC that is the most liberal - since it will still not be any more liberal than the RDP. Which means it uses the DSAT model. Which means, from what I can tell, Oceanic, Sherwood, and Aeris. And I think I want one that shows O2 saturation level, too, not just N2 (since I intend to use Nitrox). So, it looks like I'd have to spend at least $250. Plus, buy a console with a SPG.

I guess what it comes down to is, should I spend $300 for a PDC and a SPG. Or should I go ahead and ante up to $750 for a TX-1 (with a AI transmitter)? Or $500 for the TX-1 w/o TMT? Or should I do something else? Buy a used computer and a $45 SPG? Like I said before, my most pressing goal is to have my own PDC to use during my OW cert and then diving in MX using rental gear. Secondary is not spending money on something I'll want to replace in the next 6 months or 1 year.

And if you actually read all that.... Thank you!!

Until you get your cert, don't buy a computer. If the op you use on vacation is going to take you on dives where you might run into the NDL's find another op. One that observes and respects training limits. I'm not even going to address the deco questions because those are so far beyond where you will be with OW, AOW, and Nitrox. What if you find out that after your discover and other experience that you don't really like scuba as much as you think you do now? If you must get a computer Leisure Pro has Veo 180's on sale for under 200 bucks. That should do everything you want for the next couple years. If and when you decide to go tech then you can buy a Petrel.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 05:57 PM ----------

Plus your AI computer is no good without your own reg to put it on. I would not put a transmitter on a rental reg. But then I would not put a transmitter on any reg.

I agree with the reasoning behind getting a wrist computer rather than a console if you intend to rent your regulators for the foreseeable future.

I don't see the utility of having your own computer to use in OW class as opposed to a computer borrowed for the course (or no computer at all). For the basic functions, most computers work very similarly. You will not lose any learning opportunities by using a different computer. Once you learn the basics of what a computer can do, you can readily adapt to any computer--even right before your Mexico trip--by (guess what) reading the manual. I don't think there is much need to actually practice in the water with a specific computer, and certainly not in OW class, as you won't get a whole lot of opportunity in the water. By using a computer in your OW class--any computer--you might even get a better idea of what features you like or dislike. Getting your own computer before the Mexico trip is not a bad idea, but I recommend waiting until after OW class.

Lastly, I understand the "buy once cry once" reasoning, but if you buy an expensive tech-oriented computer (multiple gases--seriously?!) with the idea that you will grow into it, it could very well be obsolete or conk out by the time you get to the level where you need those features. A straightforward computer can do everything you will need for a good five or six years. As computers are consumer-grade electronics, you can't really expect them to last much longer than that. Sure, some do last longer, and some people have been using the same computer for 10+ years, but that's not common.

Until you get your cert, don't buy a computer. If the op you use on vacation is going to take you on dives where you might run into the NDL's find another op. One that observes and respects training limits. I'm not even going to address the deco questions because those are so far beyond where you will be with OW, AOW, and Nitrox. What if you find out that after your discover and other experience that you don't really like scuba as much as you think you do now? If you must get a computer Leisure Pro has Veo 180's on sale for under 200 bucks. That should do everything you want for the next couple years. If and when you decide to go tech then you can buy a Petrel.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 05:57 PM ----------

Plus your AI computer is no good without your own reg to put it on. I would not put a transmitter on a rental reg. But then I would not put a transmitter on any reg.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to read my OP and respond. I have seen other posts from you on here and I respect and appreciate your input.

Two questions:

1) What you said about the op in MX and running into NDLs. My OW cert will be complete, with all 4 OW dives, before I go to MX. So, I'm not clear on what you mean about them respecting my training limits. Was that part of your comment based on thinking I would be completing my OW certification dives in MX? Or is your thought that even once I've completed those I should not be doing any diving where I even come close to a NDL any time soon?

On the discovery dive I did in HI, my max depth was between 25 and 30 feet. I had no trouble controlling my buoyancy. I stayed 3 - 5 feet above the bottom as much as I wanted, and stayed level with our guide all the rest of the time. And felt totally comfortable the whole time. So, I was expecting to complete my 4 OW dives before going to MX and then feel free and clear to do dives down to 20m, which have a first-dive NDL of around 60 minutes (depending on which tables I consult), as much as I want. And I would have an expectation that I might actually push up somewhere in the general vicinity of the NDL. Particularly on a second dive of the day. I sincerely don't mean this question to sound flippant when I say what's wrong with that plan? I recognize my book-learning is not a substitute for experience, so I want to understand what I'm missing.

2) I understand that an AI computer is no good as a pressure gauge until I have a reg to install the TX on. And I had no plan to try and install it on a rental reg. My thought was that the AI-capable PDC would still be perfectly good as my PDC, even without the AI TX. And whatever reg set I rent will have gauges on it. Then, when I get my own reg set, I could install the TX, instead of buying even just a SPG. In the meantime, I have to have a PDC anyway. I could rent one, but, after my mask, I think that's the next piece of equipment on my list that I'd rather own and take with me than rent.

I have read other posts from you that expressed your negative feelings towards the wireless SPG technology. I was just discussing the concept with a good friend of mine who is an experienced Rec diver with Advanced, Deep, and Nitrox certs - but no Tech certs. We were discussing the idea of having the wireless TX as my only SPG. He has never used one and insisted that he would continue to dive with his analog gauges, even if he got a wireless SPG setup - for a while, until he got very comfortable with the wireless. But, for me, not owning any gauges at all yet, this is the conclusion we came to:

The worst-case scenario is that my SPG dies and I don't notice and I run out of air, I'm at my max depth, and my buddy is nowhere to be found. Well, if I screw up badly enough for that to happen, I reckon it could happen just as easily with a glass-and-brass SPG, so I don't see where wireless is a factor there. it actually seems more likely with BnG because there would definitely be no alarm of any kind that would go off as I got close to running out of air. But, if it WERE to happen and I couldn't buddy breathe to the surface, because my buddy was not around, my friend that I was talking to explained that, one, I should be able to tell when I'm running out of air. At least enough to get one good breath before I'm completely out. And then, I can still exhale slowly and ascend and the air expansion from ascending will sustain me for long enough to make a controlled ascent without drowning. Remember, for now we're talking about a max of 20m depth. And it's only even a concern if my buddy is not around to give me some air. All in all, this seems like an EXTREMELY unlikely scenario.

Barring the worst-case scenario, what is the penultimate worst case? The TX fails and I have no SPG, but I still have air. Well, in that event, I might have to just surface immediately, it's true. I might possibly lose one whole dive. I might even lose a whole day if putting a fresh battery in doesn't solve it and there's no spare SPG or reg set I can borrow. But, we're talking about Rec diving. So, is that really that big a deal? I mean, if I were to, say, fly all the way to the Phillipines to dive and my wireless TX failed the first dive of the first day, and there were no spares that I could borrow, that would be a pretty major bummer. But, if I were going to invest that much into a dive trip, I would probably plan ahead to ensure that was a complete spare rig (BCD, reg set, gauges, and computer) at least available to borrow or rent. And I would feel the same way, even if I had an all-mechanical console. So, again, I don't see wireless SPG as a significant liability.

So, all that said, what am I missing? What is the real risk or downside to using a wireless TX as your only SPG - for Rec diving?

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 07:11 PM ----------

I don't see the utility of having your own computer to use in OW class as opposed to a computer borrowed for the course (or no computer at all)....

Lastly, I understand the "buy once cry once" reasoning, but if you buy an expensive tech-oriented computer (multiple gases--seriously?!) with the idea that you will grow into it, it could very well be obsolete or conk out by the time you get to the level where you need those features....

Thanks, Lorenzoid! I understand what you're saying about not necessarily getting my own before the OW class. I am certainly capable of reading the manual. I have already read the complete manuals of a few different PDCs, just so I could understand how they work. I think it helps understand all the different ones I'm looking at and what the "Feature List" means for some of the features listed. So, I won't worry too much about getting it before the OW class.

As far as the tech-oriented reasoning goes, I understand that, too. That's why I don't want to spend extra for, say, a Petrel. I write software for a living, so I'm very familiar with the advance of computer technology versus prices. People often tell me they want to buy a PC (or laptop or tablet) soon and what should they get. I always tell them "when you have the cash in hand, ready to buy, let me know that and tell me how much you want to spend and THEN I'll give you a recommendation."

But, when I asses what I want in the immediate future, what I see is wanting a wristwatch type that supports Nitrox and gives me wireless AI. That seems like it will serve me well for Rec diving in the next year or two. So, I wouldn't spend a lot more for a tech computer, exactly for the reasons you said. But, if the best computer for my immediate needs also happens to have great Tech features without costing any or much extra, why NOT get that one? I mean, if I ignore the Tech features of the TX-1, it still looks like a great PDC for Rec diving. And, at $750, the only PDC with wireless AI that is cheaper is the Amphos. And I explained earlier that I think just the display on the TX-1 looks worth the extra $70 to me - even if it had none of the Tech diving features.

Lastly, I understand the "buy once cry once" reasoning, but if you buy an expensive tech-oriented computer (multiple gases--seriously?!) with the idea that you will grow into it, it could very well be obsolete or conk out by the time you get to the level where you need those features. A straightforward computer can do everything you will need for a good five or six years. As computers are consumer-grade electronics, you can't really expect them to last much longer than that. Sure, some do last longer, and some people have been using the same computer for 10+ years, but that's not common.

First, you're confusing what's common for most computers with what's common for Shearwaters. Predators still command more than 50% of their retail value in the used market and Pursuits are still being dove quite frequently...and are not exactly obsolete even next to a Petrel.

Second, nobody's suggesting anyone get a Petrel if what they're comfortable with is a $200-$400 rec computer...that's just stupid. But if someone says 'I want the best recreational computer on the market backed by the best service/support in the business and I'm looking to spend $500, $600, $1200, whatever"...Petrel is the answer. Tech is hardly the only thing it's best at, and the reasons for a new diver to get one has nothing to do with what they might grow into.

DrLecter, I'm not confusing anything, and I'm totally with you on the merits of Shearwater products and their apparently long lifespans. I'm on my second dive computer in 15 years, have recently turned DIR and learning more about staged decompression and gases, and I'm itching for a Petrel. That's not to say a Petrel is only suited for people who want to adjust M-values or whatever--especially with Shearwater's new Recreational Nitrox mode, it can be a great computer for any diver. If a new diver wants to spend $850 for a non-AI computer, I wouldn't question the choice of a Petrel.

My best advice to you is to slow down.

Wait with the decision untill after your class. Enjoy learning to dive without fudging it with questions that are faaar away in regards to experience. (Ie, multi gases, hypoxic gases.)

Personally, I was like you, I really wanted AI and a wrist computer. I could never "afford" one, so I never bought it. The correct thing to say, is that deep down it never felt right, so I didn't make the priority. My first computer was a Suunto Vyper. 3 years, 500 dives and techclasses later it is still basically one of very few bits of equipment that go with me on EVERY dive.

The reason why I think so many people reccomend a reasonably cheap computer with nitrox and gauge mode is that nitroxmode works perfectly while on vacation and when doing more than a couple dives a day. Gauge mode just allows you to use your "computer" as a bottom-timer, which makes it very well suited as a backup bottom timer on tech dives. Ie. you save money buying your first computer, but can still use it in whatever diving you should chose to do.

Currently I have owned a Vyper (Still use on EVERY dive, all be it in gauge mode) a Uwatec Tec2G (That i absolutely loved the features of, but it died), A Shearwater Petrel (Which is now my primary) and a Scubapro Bottomtimer.

When I dive in Norway, I rarely do more than two dives a day, and rarely use any other features than avg depth and time to execute my dives. While on holiday, I prefer to take advantage of the computers multi level functions, so I can have more bottom time. Techdives are planned and executed using avg depth and time.

My advice, get a reasonably cheap computer (Watch or other style) from a recognized company. Make sure you can use it as a nitroxcomputer and a bottom timer. Ask your Dive Instructor to teach you to properly read tables, and to calculate your SAC rate (It is not so difficult). Learn to be vigilant about keeping track of the gas you have, and to know what you need. Turn of any and all alarms, and use the computer between your ears as your Primary!

Welcome to a great sport...

Wait with the decision untill after your class. Enjoy learning to dive without fudging it with questions that are faaar away in regards to experience. (Ie, multi gases, hypoxic gases.)

Thanks, Imla. This statement kind of highlights part of the problem I was having.

As a neophyte, I started with "I want to go SCUBA diving." Which immediately became "I want to get OW certified." That turned into "what agency should I get certified by?" I chose SDI and, along the way, learned that SDI teaches diving using a PDC. So, then my attention turned to "what PDC should I get?" And so I started shopping online (looking at what's available, reading manuals, reading reference material sites to understand PDC features that I didn't understand at first, etc.).

And there is where your statement starts to highlight an issue that resulted in this thread posting from me: How am I supposed to know what questions are "faaar away" for me?

The online course descriptions for PADI and SDI do NOT, anywhere that I saw, make it clear that ALL Rec diving is based on diving to NDL. I still haven't actually found a definitive statement to that effect from either of those agencies. So, from boning up on PDCs and reading about what the next steps are in training, after OW, I got the impression that Deco stops and gas switching might actually be part of more advanced Rec diving. That I might actually learn about those things in an Advanced or Deep certification course. Thus, some of the questions in my OP.

In the meantime, I have done my own independent studying and have learned how to read the USN dive tables (and NOAA and PADI) and understand how to develop a dive plan that includes deco stops (based on the USN tables for that) - including for repetitive dives. I understand about the different decompression algorithms. I know what Gradient Factors are, what the "standard" values used are, and how they are used. I understand about CNS Oxygen Toxicity and O2 tissue loading and how to use the charts for that to calculate O2 tissue loading (and find it surprising that there are not Residual O2 Tables, like there are RNT, for help in calculating repetitive dives - and that some people believe a 90 minute O2 half-life is appropriate for those calculations, but nobody is stepping up and making that "official"). I took high school and college Chemistry and Physics, so the actual chemistry and physics behind these things is somewhat second nature to me. I have known Boyle's Law (PV=nRT) by heart (and understood what it means and how to apply it) since high school.

I haven't taken any actual certification courses on any of this and there is no WAY I would presume to know everything I need to know about it all to actually go and do those kind of dives. But, I would bet a dollar that I could take a written test on those subjects and score at least in the middle of the pack compared to a group of people who have taken those courses. But I digress....

So, while it may be a while before I have any need for a more advanced computer, I like to understand ALL my options before buying anything expensive. I do not like to buy things on the basis that someone on the Internet told me "that xyz is more advanced than you'll need any time soon, so don't worry your pretty little head about it." I like to KNOW why it's more expensive - what the extra money would be getting me - so the decision to buy something cheaper is based on my own knowledge. That way, if I end up wanting to replace whatever I buy with something else, I don't have anyone to blame but myself.

And isn't that the real message behind all of diving? Don't take anyone else's word for anything. Take responsibility for yourself and make your own decisions. Don't do a dive on the basis that someone else says so, and don't buy a PDC on the basis that someone else says "that's all you need." Learn the factors that are relevant to making a dive and then decide for yourself whether to do the dive. Learn the factors that are relevant to buying any piece of equipment and then decide for yourself what to buy.

On that basis, I want to say thank you to all of you that have stopped in to answer my questions and the many of you who post here on SB with a lot of good info that I have already read. Thank you for helping educate me so that I am able to make better decisions for myself - whether we're talking about actual dive decisions, or just equipment purchases.

The online course descriptions for PADI and SDI do NOT, anywhere that I saw, make it clear that ALL Rec diving is based on diving to NDL.

It is not based on diving to NDLs but within no decompression limits. While it may not be made clear in the course description, it is, at least in the PADI materials, made clear during the course.

So, from boning up on PDCs and reading about what the next steps are in training, after OW, I got the impression that Deco stops and gas switching might actually be part of more advanced Rec diving. That I might actually learn about those things in an Advanced or Deep certification course.
The only agency that I know of that properly teaches deco stops and gas switching in their recreational courses is GUE through their Rec 3 course. I say "properly" because although BSAC sports divers are allowed to complete deco dives after qualifying as a sports diver, the materials are a bit thin. Also, there is no real gas switch procedure taught during their ADP course as well (which you can also take as a sports diver with as little as 20 post SD qualification dives).

As Imla has said, get a computer such as a Suunto Vyper or anything else that has both nitrox and gauge mode. They are pretty indestructible, cheap, and will follow you no matter where your diving takes you. If you do decide to go down the technical route, it then becomes your back-up bottom timer to whatever high-end tech computer you use (if you even use one. you may go the bottom timer only route).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom