Ambergris Caye or Turks ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dives out of Ambergris Caye are 5-15 minutes out. The topography of the reef at Ambergris Caye is significantly different from the sites seen as alternates to whale shark sighting down at Placencia. The tongue and groove canyons along the reef just offshore of Ambergris Caye and can be impressive in their own right. Fortunately, there's nurse sharks, large grouper, moray eels and turtles very common, whereas sharks reef and bull appear from time to time but not quite as often. Though I'd be surprised if you didn't see them on at least one of your dives within a week. Oh and let us not forget eagle rays!!
I believe you could be very happy diving from land as well as the San Pedro vibe! Your pocket book doesn't have to be as light when you leave either.
If you decide to do San Pedro Ambergris Caye caye and have some accommodations in mind, let me know. Perhaps I'll be able to point you in the right direction for your wants, needs and desires. :yeahbaby:

Oh yeah, sometimes the dolphins come to look you over and then there's shark ray alley and Hol Chan marine reserve site.

I've done 2 liveaboard trips out of Provo and I have never seen chumming or any efforts made to attract sharks. I thought that the LOB diving was great on both trips, but I have never done shore-based diving from Provo.

I don't equate disposal of food waste with chumming.

I don't equate disposal of food waste with chumming.

Liveaboards may dispose of biodegradeable, organic food waste Iike eggshells and orange peels overboard (and I am not sure how I feel about that policy) but I have been on many LOBs in lots of different locations and the practice has never attracted sharks that I recall. It is mostly vegetable wastes and the sharks I've met didn't look like vegetarians! And I have been on LOBs where we rarely saw sharks.

Back
Top Bottom