Ambergris Caye Dive Shops...why no mention of Belize Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned as well and had a great time diving with Rudy from Island Divers. That being said, I'm surprised the scubaboard community is so high on him considering the operation is pretty weak as far as safety standards go. Rudy is a great guy and I'd dive with him again, but I'd also give Belize Pro a shot just to compare especially considering that they are right next to each other.

I think you should give examples of lax safety standards. I don't know how much diving you have done in Central America, but I have yet to see any shop operate to the safety standards used by US shops. My experience is that Island Divers operates at a safety standard at least as high as any other San Pedro shop and higher than the vast majority of the operations. I always look for a nice balance of fun vs safe. Because the safest choice is not to dive, we all operate along this scale. If something specific made you uncomfortable, you should speak up. I am sure that Rudy will address the issue.

I think you should give examples of lax safety standards. I don't know how much diving you have done in Central America, but I have yet to see any shop operate to the safety standards used by US shops.

I agree that examples would be helpful and that speaking to Rudy about any concerns would be appreciated.

Splash Dive Shop in Placencia operates at least as safely as the standards in the US so it can be done.

Sure I can list a couple examples...but to be clear, I'm not complaining or nitpicking...I was just surprised by the consistent recommendations here based on these standards.
1. Dive master doesn't use a SMB on ascent (actually not sure if he carries one at all)...pretty sketchy in some of the high traffic areas.
2. New diver on his checkout dive hit 0 air on safety stop.

Deploying a DSMB is a highly regional practice. It is a very British practice and usually a sign of a BSAC diver. FWIW, I always carry mine and will occasionally deploy it on a finger spool if I am surfacing early without the group. I actually carry a yellow and red 100lb lift bag with SOLAS tape and my name on it instead of a safety sausage. That's the local practice where I live. I have only once seen one deployed by a working professional in Belize and it was done by Rudy. I forget the circumstances. The water is normally so clear that the boat captains can easily see the divers at the safety stop. I have done more than 200 dives in San Pedro and have not once had a close call after a safety stop. The boat captains near the busy sites are looking for bubbles and divers under the water. I have seen them used after surfacing when the boat isn't there at the end of the dive and the seas are big (6-10ft). I have spent a lot of time bobbing around the busy sites near the main break in the reef and have not once seen an DSMB pop up from any of the shops.

So the diver on his checkout ran completely out of air? That's not good since Rudy would have been in the water instructing on an instructional check out dive. I will be down there late next week and will ask him about that.

Interesting perspective on the SMB. That's the first time I've ever been with a divemaster who wasn't carrying one but perhaps it was tucked away and he didn't think we needed it based on the conditions...that's fair enough.

Yeah Rudy was with him and he showed him his gauge and had to grab his octopus and then surface.

He should have at least 2 surface signaling devices. He likely had a sausage in his bc pocket and a whistle. Deploying a SMB from under the surface is unusual in most tropical places. Carrying one and using it in the surface is not.

I've been on plenty of dives around the Caribbean where DM's don't use a SMB. Diver hit zero air: diver's error, the DM can't watch the SPG every second on every diver. Divers should always be aware of their own tank status.

Back
Top Bottom