Ambergris Caye Dive Shops...why no mention of Belize Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkopec

Contributor
Reaction score
I've searched through all of the dive shop recommendations for the San Pedro area and see a lot of mention of Island Divers, Chuck &Robby's, etc. But I'm curious why there is no mention of Belize Pro Dive Center which is #1 on TripAdvisor with impeccable reviews. Yes I trust recommendations on this forum more than TripAdvisor, but just curious since the reviews are soooo much better than the other shops recommended here. Heading out July 2-10 and trying to lock in an operator for the week. I really liked Chuck & Robby's last time I was there,but willing to check out something new based on recommendations here.
Thanks!
Brian
Raleigh, NC

Many business owners in San Pedro have turned Trip Advisor into a game. There are about 50 shops on Ambergris Caye with the majority being very small. Some of them are not even on Trip Advisor at all. Where you are staying determines which shop you should use. I would use Island Divers if I was staying between town and the southern tip of the island. I would use Ecologic or Chuck and Robbies if I was staying from about El Pescador to Ramons. I would use White Sands if I was staying north of El Pescador. For atoll trips, it depends on who is going. I would lean towards Ramons for atoll trips is none of my favorites was going. I would never dive with Aqua Scuba. I also try to avoid Amigos Del Mar.

Great tips, thanks! I'll see if Island Divers can accommodate us since we're staying a couple miles south of town.

One thing I've found about San Pedro (Ambergrise Caye) and Caye Caulker is that San Pedro is much more a touristy location, while Caye Caulker is more laid back and a better diving experience, in my opinion. They will both go to the same sites but since San Pedro is the more commercialized island, what AWMIII said is right on the money - they turn Tripadviser and everything else into a game, and it's hard to count on those reviews once that starts happening.

Personally, I stay in San Pedro if I have my wife with me. She likes the slightly nicer hotels and the more "americanized" feel of the shops. If I'm by myself, I stay in Caye Caulker and dive with Frenchies. The boats are less crowded, the atmosphere is more laid back, and I have always had better dives with them than any of the shops up in San Pedro.

why do people stay on Caulker considering they go to Ambergris for most dive sites?

suggest you remeasure the distance

I've dived it more that 1000 times over the last 20 years and send a boat there every day , I'm sure I know where it is. Caye Caulker boats and Ambergris Caye boats share common sites as they are easy to access from both. We can get our tape measures out and duel later.This isn't answering our friend Bkopecs question lets argue another time.
AWM111 is spot on with his response. some business play Trip Advisor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom