ambergris cay or placencia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm confused about the whale shark dates? We will be in Belize probably around May 17, does this mean that it's not possible to see whale sharks then? Or is this just when splash runs trips? How do you predict what days there will be whale sharks and when there wont be?

We're making our way up from Roatan, and are thinking of spending 4 days in Placencia and then going to Ambergirs Cay. If we don't fly between the 2 (my boyfriend hates small planes) how is the best way to get there?

The optimum time for Whale Shar sightings is right on the full moon and a couple of days either side but the best sightings are over the full moon time period.

The prediction is because the Snappers spawn on the full moon and the whale Sharks time it to be there to eat the eggs as the fish spawn

Full Moon in may is on the 27th

You will still have a chance to see the whale sharks during your time there it just wont be the optimum time

Be sure to take a day trip to Glovers its FANTASTIC diving

Gaz Cooper

If you look up the dates of the full moon in that location (readily available on the web) then reckon on about a 6 day window spanning the date of the full moon. For Belize the optimal month is May.

If you don't want to fly from Placencia you'll need to bus via Dangriga and Belmopan to Belize City, then take a taxi to the docks in the town centre (note - not the Port) and a ferry to Ambergris Caye. It'll take a full day. I'm not aware of any boat ferry services that go up the coast. Beware that there is currently a hiatus with the boat ferry services between Belize City and San Pedro, and you will be faced with a long and very expensive journey in an over-crowded boat that leaves from one of two widely spaced terminals, with no information available as to when/where the next boat will be.

In present circumstances I strongly recommend you fly (Tropic Air or Maya Island Air). It'll take at most a few hours, possibly well under two (depending on schedules), and although it'll cost more than the alternative the extra will be less now that boat prices are so high. It'll also be a lot more pleasant.

I'd definitely prefer to fly however my boyfriend really hates small planes. Do you know what size of plane flies this route? I was looking at the maya air website and they have 3 planes... the larger 68 passenger one would be fine, but if it's one of the smaller two I don't think my boyfriend will want to do it. Tropic air looks like only have the small cessnas.

The standard plane for both airlines is the Cessna 208 Caravan. Both airlines have some smaller planes (typically the Cessna 206 Turbo) and Maya also have a few Britten-Norman Islanders. The Islanders are twin piston-engined, the others are all single and mostly piston-engined apart from the Caravans. Maya do sometimes lease a larger aircraft and currently use those for their Cancun-Belize service only. Whichever airline you choose it is most likely you would fly in a Caravan. I believe I did hear of a new service south from Belize, but I don't know where to, what equipment they use, or even if it's operating.

The Caravan is indeed a small aircraft, but as small aircraft go it's pretty big! It also has extraordinary carrying capacity and an excellent safety record, even though it's a single. Not sure of the seating capacity, but it's maybe around 15-18.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom