Amazon link getting converted to [MEDIA]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just the put the link into my browser and it took me to the amazon page.
When I take the last 2 segments of the URL, I get an error: page not found.

2 segments?
Yes; the last 2 collections of letters between the forward slash marks.

@Akimbo this seems directly relevant and implies that the link recoding may be able to be disabled selectively for Amazon links in some forum software extensions to "fix" the issue: phpBB • amazon-links, VigLink, affiliate

Your illustration of the recorded URL got me to search on the "&creativeASIN" as a keyword.

Also did you handcode my link to get it to work? Just pasting gave me the same [MEDIA] result as the link dialog.

Also did you handcode my link to get it to work?

I tried hand-coding your URL as an urfurled link but it reverted to the Amazon display.

The above link was created by copying and pasting the title, highlighting the pasted text, clicking the Insert Link "chain link" icon, and pasting the URL into the menu that pops up. The process is explained here:

@tbone1004 reported a problem with these URLs converted to media and being blocked by AdBlock. I reported the issue to xenForo:

The best workaround is to create a conventional link by adding it to descriptive text instead of just pasting the URL in the post.

@tbone1004 reported a problem with these URLs converted to media and being blocked by AdBlock. I reported the issue to xenForo:

As a uBlock user, I get that problem all the time on scubaboard. I've just been ignoring it.

As a uBlock user, I get that problem all the time on scubaboard. I've just been ignoring it.

The bigger problem is when people post the URL and have no idea that AdBlock readers (members and guests) won't be able to see it. Members are not intending that their information sharing effort as an ad.

This is officially known as the RIM job. The link icon works if you fill in both the link and the text, however, once inserted the link is selected so when you hit space to type the next word it goes *poof*.

Back
Top Bottom