Amazing! Dive report: Tuesday 3/31 somewhere in Carmel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwest

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First, I'm sorry I missed your messages Mike G and Don, I didn't have a computer with me and I arrived in Monterey Sunday night. Hope you had a good day at Lobos.

Monday I dove the breakwater and the viz was pretty bad.

Tuesday however rocked!

Conrad (cmetzenger) and I met at 8:00 am and we launched his 17 foot boston Whaler. He had a few GPS coordinates but this was his first time putting his boat in the water in Monterey. We checked out a few sites but found the visibility to be marginal so we kept going until we got to Carmel. Our first dive was directly out from a huge mansion - I attached a photo, but I used the digital zoom so it's a bit blurry. If anyone knows the name of this site chime in, it was truly incredible. We hit a max depth of 64 feet and could almost see the surface most of the dive I would say the visibility was at least 40 feet. At one point we entered a large horse-shoe shaped structure. The word I would use to describe it is cathedral-like. The rock walls of the structure extended almost to the surface and almost all the way around us. We saw the usual suspects including a very large ling cod. Despite the great viz it was hard to find the anchor line at the end of the dive which is a much smaller (in thickness) line than what you find on the big boats. We managed to surface less then 75 feet from the boat however, so it was just a short swim. Our next dive was at what we both think is called Stillwater pinnacle. Again the visibility was fantastic. At one point Conrad tugged on my BC and when I looked over at him his eyes where bulging and he was pointing with both fingers behind me. I expected to turn around and see a Mola Mola or some other large fish in the distance. Boy was I surprised to turn around and come face to face with a large (were talking 400-500 pound) sea lion bull about 5 feet away from me. We exchanged glances and I noticed two other sea lions (females?) in the distance - maybe he wanted to add me to his harem :D. It turned out they were just curious and soon left, but I've only seen the juveniles underwater before, so this was pretty exciting. We swam around the pinnacle a few tims and this time ended up right back at the anchor line for the safety stop. The only slightly negative thing I can say about the day was that the water was much colder than any of my other dives in Monterey, my computer read 47 degrees every time I took a look. For those who preach the good word of the drysuit, I'm at the door to your church but can't afford to come in.

I hope these photos attach.

((((kevin))))

Digital Zoom Of Mansion.jpg

Captain Conrad.jpg

Conrad's Boat.jpg

I *think* that house is one of the lineups we use for Inner Pinnacles, but the depths you guys got are off. In the picture it looks like you're closer to shore than either Inner or Outer Pinnacles, too.

Because of the boat ride out and back, Carmel dives always seem 10 degrees colder!

I do have some GPS numbers for the various sites. Did you guys by chance mark the numbers?

I *think* that house is one of the lineups we use for Inner Pinnacles, but the depths you guys got are off. In the picture it looks like you're closer to shore than either Inner or Outer Pinnacles, too.

Because of the boat ride out and back, Carmel dives always seem 10 degrees colder!

I do have some GPS numbers for the various sites. Did you guys by chance mark the numbers?

Hey Dannobee,

Conrad marked the site on his GPS, we called it "The Mansion". I had to use the digital zoom to get the photo so close, we were out quite away from the house. In a photo without the zoom you probably wouldn't be able to see the house very well. The second dive we tried to stay no deeper thane 60 feet, but it dropped off quite a bit around the south side of the pinnacle, at some points you couldn't even see the bottom.

Doesn't the line up house for Inner Pinnacle (East Pinnacle) have a high rectangular tower?

Thnx for the report

Doesn't the line up house for Inner Pinnacle (East Pinnacle) have a high rectangular tower?

Yes, I saw the house you are talking about too, it was about 200 yards to the right of the house I took the photo of (viewed from the water). Although we did see some nice rock structures there wasn't what I would call a pinnacle on the first dive. Who knows maybe there was and we just swam the wrong direction. It felt like such a crap shoot when we jumped in with neither of us having been there before. That just made it more of an adventure and more amazing that we found the horse-shoe shaped cathedral.

I hope I'm not ruined for shore-diving now :shakehead:

(((kevin)))

You won't be. Boat diving and shore diving have their pro's and their cons.

True. I am feeling some of the cons of boat diving on my (excuse my French) ass :mooner: today. I guess a bumpy albeit thrilling boat ride equals sore buns the next day :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom