Amatuer Pictures from Laguna Beach, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LagunaDiver

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Recently got into photography while diving and have taken a few shots I thought I'd share. All were taken at various beaches in Laguna.

Lobster.jpg

Spiny Lobster
Ray.jpg

Little Sting Ray
RockSculpin.jpg

Not sure of the name of this fish. I was told it's called a Rock Sculpin, but couldn't find any information about it. Anyone know?
Batray1.jpg

Bat Ray
Starfish2.jpg

Cluster of Starfish
SpiderCrab2.jpg

Spider Crab
Fish.jpg

More fish that I don't know the name of. Looks like I need to invest in an I.D book:D

Very nice shots. What gear are you shooting with?

Dave
DDHF

Camara - Nikon Coolpix L4
Case - Fantasea FL-4
Strobe - Dive light :)

Hey, some nice shots for an "amateur."

ID's are:

#2 round stingray

#3 California or spotted scopionfish

#6 sheep crab (a species in the spider crab family)

#7 blacksmith (a species of damsel related to the garibaldi)

Ok, I'm sold. I'm getting a digital. I've been using a 35mm film camera and I have never been able to get shots like that. Even in Hawaii!

Good pics
I wonder why there are so many empty mussel shells behind the spider crab. Something has been having a good meal, maybe an octopus?

victor:
Good pics
I wonder why there are so many empty mussel shells behind the spider crab. Something has been having a good meal, maybe an octopus?

Lobster and sheephead also like mussels (as do humans when they are not quarantined... the mussels, not the humans). And of course they do age and die naturally as well as get detached by heavy surf.

Nice shots. :)

If you're diving SoCal like I am, the book you'll want to buy first is by Paul Humann: Coastal Fish Identification: California to Alaska. There are a couple (like maybe 3?) small changes that have been made in the 10 years since it first came out, but it's still considered the gold standard of fish ID books around here.

You'll want others, eventually, but the Humann book is the way to start your collection.

drbill:
Lobster and sheephead also like mussels (as do humans when they are not quarantined... the mussels, not the humans). And of course they do age and die naturally as well as get detached by heavy surf.

Interesting, I did not think there claws, not the humans, would be powerful enough to crack a mussels shell.

Thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom