Am I wasting my time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am getting close to purchasing the S90 with the Ikelite housing both for UW use and as a good topside camera. However, I do not have much current dive experience, and my wife (my dive buddy) only has 9 dives and is not totally comfortable under the water so I like to keep a close eye on her. I would love to take some UW photos on our upcoming Boanaire trip, but am somewhat concerned about trying to use the camera with a strobe at the novice diver stage. Never having used a camera underwater, I am not sure if I am I ready to deal with stobes at this stage of my diving experience. I think I would be OK dealing with the camera using internal flash as it would not take up much space attached to my BC, and I could use it to take snapshots and in the process learn to use the camera. However, I don't want to lug the camera around if it is a waste of time to use without the strobe. Does anyone have some examples of what photo quality you can get without the strobe in the 45-60" depth range in sunny, clear water conditions. For me it is not a question of the extra money for the strobe, but a question of whether or not someone with my experience level should even be trying to do underwater photography with the setup I will need to take good photos. Thanks

I am getting close to purchasing the S90 with the Ikelite housing both for UW use and as a good topside camera. However, I do not have much current dive experience, and my wife (my dive buddy) only has 9 dives and is not totally comfortable under the water so I like to keep a close eye on her. I would love to take some UW photos on our upcoming Boanaire trip, but am somewhat concerned about trying to use the camera with a strobe at the novice diver stage. Never having used a camera underwater, I am not sure if I am I ready to deal with stobes at this stage of my diving experience. Thanks

Yes, it is too soon for the strobe. Maybe with just the camera when you are on a bottom sandy spot you can take the camera out for some photos. If you have a guide maybe you can give them the camera to take photos of you and your wife while diving. I do recommend the camera for the rest of your topside vacation too.

My opinion would be to hold off on the strobe until you get your skills honed a bit. Most importantly buoyancy. The best way to improve your images is to shoot a lot of pictures. Ck out Alcinas threads on here they are full of great info. The first images when you start with an external strobe may be bewildering until you experiment with settings etc. You can take great shots with just your strobe on your camera. I dive here in NY in dark green waters and most times leave the strobe at home.

You can get really good shots without a strobe in clear water or with filters. See M A G I C - F I L T E R S for some examples.

However, making the most of your equipment requires a lot of attention to details. Even without strobes, if you want technically good shots it will take some time to prepare them.

So the question isn't strobe or no strobe, but are you and your buddy secure enough in the water to allow some time spent on photography?

If your buddy is still relying on you for safety/orientation/reassurance, I'd say no.
If you still have trouble with buoyancy or movement, no as well.

When your buddy is excited by the idea and is comfortable enough she can act as a spotter (i.e. go on her own - within reasonable distance - and find the next subject to photograph), then it's a good time to drag a camera underwater.

My buoyancy is fine, my wife's reflects only having 9 OW dive so if there is any picture taking to be done, I will be doing it for the time being although my wife is the topside photographer in the family. So I thought I would use the S90/Iklelite with internal camera flash on a time available basis as I know we will have some very leisurely shore dives done at our own pace. I just did not want to take the camera in the water if it was just going to be another piece of stuff to hang on the BC if I would not be able to get photographs that were even passable as "tourist shots", especially with all the risk that diving with a camera entails
Guy

The Canon cameras have good and fast lenses which will let you get some GREAT pictures in clear blue water with NO strobe.
Your FIRST and utmost priority needs to be to concentrate on your safety and that of your buddy.
However, since handling the S90 with small housing and NO strobe will be much easier than a full rig, you can then look for opportunities when it is safe and appropriate to use the camera.
Get experience with diving, and taking pictures. Just take it slow.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 84
Why not spend a little extra money that would benefit both you and your wife? Sign her up for a half-day refresher or skills session with a DM and sign yourself up for a half-day photo class. There's lots of good options for both on Bonaire. Dunno where you're staying, but the fellow who runs the photo shop at Buddy Dive has an excellent half-day class that I can personally recommend ... both myself and my dive buddy took it at one point and got a lot out of it.

That way for the rest of your trip you can take better pictures and your wife can feel more comfortable in the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

>> However, I don't want to lug the camera around if it is a waste of time to use without the strobe.

It will definitely not be a waste of time. Here's a tutorial on using a camera without a strobe, with a few example photos.

Just make sure you don't get a housing that blocks using the internal flash of the camera - this is very important.

Good luck!

Scott

Thank you all for the excellent comments, links, and the tutorial. That tutorial alone convinced me to go ahead with the camera purchase and just play with it as time and situation permits. All of your comments were very valuable to me and rest assured that after being an Air Force and airline pilot for 33 years I know where to put the prioity when I am doing something that can get you killed if you are not paying attention to the important stuff. I will just use the camera at those times when I am sure that the camera will not interfer with my primary roles as dive buddy and husband.
Guy

Scott,
Those are some fantastic shots. Although I know I am not going to be able to get anything close to those photos, they at least have given me a look at what can be done. The tutorial is wonderful. Thank you.
Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom