Am I Sick? If so, Is There a Cure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, not mentally... Those of you who know me are aware that I usually do 250-350 dives a year to film the wonders of the kelp forest and bring them to viewers of my cable TV shows and DVD's.

Recently I've experienced a possible malady that others may be able to shed some light on. I've never been adverse to donning a wet suit (even my "holiest" one) and braving the sometimes chilly waters of SoCal.

Several times in the past few weeks I've prepped my camera and loaded all my dive gear on the Dr. Bill Mobile and headed down to our local dive park. The only difference is that after an hour or three, I head back home without even donning my wetsuit or getting wet.

Have I come down with some mysterious illness that turns dive bums into landlubbers? If so, is there a cure. I've thought perhaps a few trips to the destinations on my "bucket list" (Red Sea, Philippines, South America, South Africa) might reinvigorate my "drive to dive." Any real doctors in the house that can advise me?

The only upside is that I've created two new DVD's, "Cephalopods of SoCal" and now "Wrasses and Basses of SoCal" that are available from my web site. If enough of you, my "fellow" ScubaBoard members, buy them I may be able to achieve my "bucket list" goals:

Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Products: Educational DVD's

I hope this isn't contagious... especially not via electrons!

All right! Who are you and what have you done with Dr. Bill?

DC

Did it again today... Went down to the dive park with all my gear and ended up returning home without getting wet. At least there were a number of folks down there to chat with. Tomorrow an "old" dive buddy is coming out and we're going to try something I haven't done in a few years... swim at the dive park. She's pregnant with her third (by her husband... not me!) and can't dive so we'll see if that helps.

speaking of footage and trips.. Ive really got to get those shots from the red sea out of Lightroom and through photoshop for final processing this week..
Glad its just photos and not video :rofl:

Ya know i have been the same way this year. We had a baby in May and have been a little busy with him, but i just haven't had the ambition this year. I made one dive all summer. We would plan a dive then when it came to loading the gear and going it was like do i really want to do this. I also got that way with running my boat (salmon fishing). I really couldn't wait till this weekend to get it in the shop to be winterized. The last three weeks of season i just couldn't get motivated to go.

I feel your thoughts on this, maybe a cold winter will change things for next year.

Being in the +50 age category, I also had a number of visits to my favorite site- looked at the visibility, said to myself, "there is always tomorrow to dive, etc., etc."

I ended up enrolling in dive courses- tech side: extended range, tri-mix, and now CCR training, starting next week.

I believe there is a cure-variety.

You definitely need some pleasure diving. Go with only the idea of looking and enjoying. Plant yourself in one spot and watch everything go on around you. Relax, and the lust for the sport will return. Been there myself.

Back
Top Bottom