Am I just being paranoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

That is a most interesting article. However not a single case have they provided proper evidence that the dcs was related to driving to altitudes after diving, for all we know these same divers would have developed dcs at sea level. The other thing worth noting here is the grosly lack of proper or adequate treatment.

Ed

Well, the cases happened in Jordan and were treated there...
Do you think that the same divers might have received DCS even without going up? Perhaps.
Perhaps all the divers who fly after diving might have received DCS also if they stayed in land?
As a matter of fact, airliners compress the cabins to something equivalent to 1500 meters (5000 feet) altitude. So speaking of partial pressures, driving up to 1500 meters, or flying in a compressed chamber to this equivalent altitude, or whatever one can do to decrease the pressure may result in increased chances of DCS.
The only difference is that divers are advised not to fly after diving. It is taught in all courses. Nobody usually pays attention to driving at high altitudes...

Enjoy diving, and if there is a doubt...There is no doubt.

Hello,

Perhaps dr deco needs to step in and clarify some of this. There is currently a flying after diving table AND there is a diving at altitude table. I'm not saying that waiting to drive is good/bad i'm simply stating that you have absolutely no scientific proof that it's valid or the wait time is adequate.

Ed

Dear readers:

The diving-at-altitude table is related to the fact that when at altitude, the absolute pressures are less than at sea level. This is rather straightforward and easy to work out with a calculator.

In contrast, flying-after-diving is different in that a very large number of dives are possible and these gas loadings would all be different. For these multiple situations, one size does not fit all. There has not been a lot or research work done in this area. A large amount of the information offered is simply conservative rules of thumb.

As far as DCS when going to altitude, it is difficult to say that a “hit” would not have occurred anyway. In fact, that is how the test is performed in a laboratory. It is called a “cross over” design, and would go like this. Test subjects would perform a dive and then sit at the surface for a few hours to see who develops DCS (and Doppler bubbles). At a later time, the same individuals would make the identical dive but then be depressurized to some altitude. These individuals would again be observed for DCS (and Doppler bubbles). The test would actually be varied so that some do the sea level run first and some do the altitude run first. This is time consuming and expensive, and there are a great many variations on the theme, as you can imagine. BUT it gives you the answer.

That is why we are short on real laboratory data. However, waiting is a good idea - - - without strenuous activity at the surface!:wink:

Dr Deco

Hello,

Another thing to point out. A bloated body, i.e. one that's just eaten, versus one who has not eaten would have different offgasing properties as one would inhibit blood circulation. Guess the question is would it be enough to make a difference or not for dci.

Ed

Let's just say, that it's best being on the safe side. Using common sense in these cases can only help, and a good meal after a long day of diving is alwais welcome!

BTW- To those who dosen't know- Eilat and Aqaba are very close to eachother, almost touching, each on it's side of the Israely/Jordenian border. Both are in the same valley surounded by mountains, those on the jordanian side are higher.

Vicky-Thx for the link!
I wasn't aware of any research on the matter in jordan.

There is also a nice website of saudian diving:

http://www.saudidiving.com/

It seems a serious site. They have very nice diving sites (one could suspect that they are hiding it for themselves...).
They also have the same pollution problems that Eilat and Aqaba are suffering from (mainly sewage). Also. there is a link to Richard Feyle's "in water recompression" article and to his own story of his case. Cool site. Recommended.
Now I am only waiting to apply a visa for Saudi Arabia. Can't wait to dive in Jedah and Dharan...(have you got a foreign passport?)

Thanks for another great link!

I never realized the diving industry in saudi even existed on such scales!
I think they have about as much centers as us, including the medditarenian.

As for foreign passport- If I wasnt to lazy several years ago, I might have had a french passport know, but alas, lazyness coused me to be a single passport person. Living in a country like ours, make having a second passport a very good advatage.

I think that somekind of cooperation must be achived between all the states at the red sea, if we want to preserve it at a diveable state. I do belive the worst conditions are at our piece of the red sea, becouse of all the divers on such a short shore-line. It might be interesting to e-mail the guys on the saudian site, and wait to see if we have any results.

Dear blacknet:

Regarding your question on food, bloating, and DCS, I do not know of any evidence that what you eat makes any difference regarding DCS. There was a thought that some fatty foods could change the solubility of gases in the blood, but I do not think anyone has made a real connection with that event and decompression sickness.

Just as long as you do not have an upset stomach.:goofy:

Dr Deco

Dr deco,

I was refering to a fasting body vs a bloated body, from eating. Not specific types of foods.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom