Am I crazy, or is this a stone axe???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Land Locked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My wife was out collecting some stones to paint some art work on. She thought this stone would make a good fish!?!?

What I see is a very old stone tool, looks like an axe. I don't think I'm going to let her paint this stone!!!! Am I nuts....Do you see what I see???

misc_023.jpg

misc_019.jpg

misc_017.jpg

I would def agree with you there. For what I can see by the pics, I would go with it is an ax. Have no clue what university to recommend in your area....since i dont read lat long.

All those pics... and not a size reference point in any of them. Would it kill ya' to stick a pencil or coin next to the thing??

Just messing with you... I know most people never think about these things.:D

All those pics... and not a size reference point in any of them. Would it kill ya' to stick a pencil or coin next to the thing??
.:D

I'm sure that would help, 5"x2"x2.5",
misc1.jpg

I've done some searching on-line for Kentucky stone tools with little luck.

I guess I'll have to check with the local universities.

The band around the stone is deliberate, not natural.

Yup, I've seen several collections of these in museums.

(Could be a more modern fake, but much might depend on where it was found.)

When you take it to a university to have it examined, recommend you take a map and try to locate on the map approximately where it was found. Puts it in context, so to speak, for any archeologist that may be trying to assist you.

I can't tell from the pics how flat it is. But it kinda resembles a plumb bob. Also resembles an awl but size discounts that. Send a copy to the Smithsonian or someplace like that and see what they say.

Thats definitely an artifact. We used to find them when I was a kid. Down in Southeastern KY there where a couple of places we would go to dig for arrowheads and we would find these sometimes. I'd contact someone at UofL, It'd be cool to find out how old it is.

Yes, you are crazy, but as for the stone, I think you may actually have something :D

That is an old Battle Axe, attached to a stick they would wrap dried straps of bark to it crossing over securing it. I would email UL or UK and hae them date it and confirm.

Where did you find it? We used to hunt bottom land fields (where they would have put villages to be near water) after they were plowed and then had a good rain shower. Lots of things turned up and that area...the Ohio Valley and Kentucky had lots of native Americans. I have friends back in SW Ohio with large collections of tools, arrow heads etc etc. We dug in mounds and put a skeleton together of the lower half of a man. (I put it all back in 1995)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom