am i an idiot ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubbachicken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i've spent all day reading and trying to understand doyles law, dalton's law, henry's law and all the other laws in the recreational divers encyclopedia as i'm try to do the study bit for my dive master course, i'm still as confused as when i started, is there an easy way to learn remember this stuff, the tests in the book, i'm getting roughly 75% right every time i go through it, but i'm getting different questions wrong it's doing my head in, i don't remember the study bit for the rescure diver course this difficult to learn, i know it's more in depth 'cos it's a dive master course, but i'm struggling, in all i've been at it a week, i was doing well until i hit these laws
so i thought
i know i should call the place i'm doing the course but they are away on a dive trip i think :(

rubbachicken:
i've spent all day reading and trying to understand doyles law, dalton's law, henry's law and all the other laws in the recreational divers encyclopedia as i'm try to do the study bit for my dive master course, i'm still as confused as when i started, is there an easy way to learn remember this stuff, the tests in the book, i'm getting roughly 75% right every time i go through it, but i'm getting different questions wrong it's doing my head in, i don't remember the study bit for the rescure diver course this difficult to learn, i know it's more in depth 'cos it's a dive master course, but i'm struggling, in all i've been at it a week, i was doing well until i hit these laws
so i thought
i know i should call the place i'm doing the course but they are away on a dive trip i think :(

See if you can rustle up a copy od the January 2005 issue of Dive Training magazine. Early texts left my wife confused, this one made all the difference.

Pete

there is no such thing as a stupid chicken..

cancun mark:

But it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken.

Frank Perdue, RIP

cancun mark:

<<<<<<<<<<< look there, you will see a stupid chicken, an he's the clever one
at 16kb or what ever he is, it's a lot more than me
i thought this course would take me 3 to 6 months to get through, don't think i'm going to be done that quick

i don't see how you can learn this stiff in a couple of weeks, i just don't
some places i talked to before i started said they have a turn around with as little as 10 days how, do they have a training book with blank pages

rubbachicken:
i don't see how you can learn this stiff in a couple of weeks, i just don't
some places i talked to before i started said they have a turn around with as little as 10 days how, do they have a training book with blank pages

It depends on your background. Some of us majored in Physics in college, so the various gas laws are pretty much second nature: it all comes down to PV = nRT. I suspect others may find them a little harder to grasp.

pete340:
It depends on your background. Some of us majored in Physics in college, so the various gas laws are pretty much second nature: it all comes down to PV = nRT. I suspect others may find them a little harder to grasp.

i don't come from a clever back ground, i can build a vw from the ground up, i've built all kinds of things, i'm good with my hands, but learning that's tough, i don't think i've read more than 25 books ever and 5 of them would have been padi books
boyle's law, that's the one that's got me beat, i've read though it in the book over and over and over again, and it makes no more sence than it did the first time i read it
but i guess if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be fun

You are not alone. It’s mostly just geeks like me who don’t struggle with the physics.

Assuming PADI:
- Several of my students have found the Diving Knowledge workbook to be quite helpful.
- You don’t need to know the names of any of the laws, only their effect.
- If the worst happens, you can take a re-test.

Hints my students have said they found helpful during tests:
Don’t start with the maths.
Think first about what is being asked and about what happens in the real, physical world.
(e.g. A balloon will grow big if it comes up from depth. I’ll use more air molecules per breath the deeper I am. etc.)
Draw it. A diagram seems to help many. If appropriate, put arrows on it to show what direction things are moving or pushing, and numbers to show how much.
If possible, work the problems twice but not at the same time. Work the problem once, then come back later and work it again with a different approach.

Practicing with a patient instructor, fellow student, or some geek can help.

Nowhere on your DM card will it say whether you graduated with honors, or just barely passed. Relax, but persevere. You're doing pretty well on the practice tests, so just a bit more work should do it.

Good luck.

rubbachicken:
so i thought
Here is a pretty exhaustive explaination:

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch4/gaslaws3.html

For keeping the laws straight as to which one means what:

"Boyle" starts with a "B", as does "bounce".
Boyles law is related to the bounce of gas. If you compress a barrel of air to a bucket size, the pressure goes up. If you let it go, it will bounce.
The math is that the absolute pressure in the bucket times the volume in the bucket comes up with the same number as the absolute pressure in the barrel times the volume of the barrel, assuming you let everything settle to the same temperature.

"Dalton" starts with a "D", as does "different".
Daltons law is related to the different pressures (partial pressures) of gasses in a mix. If you are breathing .21 ATA of oxygen, it has the same effect whether the total pressure is .21 ATA, 1 ATA, or 4 ATA.

"Charles" starts with a "C", as does "Celcius".
Charles Law is related to temperature. If you heated a bucket of air (in a container that expanded to maintain the same pressure) until it occuped the space of a barrel, the relationship between the volume and absolute temperature would be such that they both would change by the same factor.

"Henry" starts with an "H", as does "harder".
Henry's Law means the harder you push, the more gas is driven into solution.

The Ideal Gas Law is what happens when you combine Boyles Law and Charles Law.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom