Always wear a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about a lava core or similar brand? I'm not sure if you'd get as much protection from stings as a 3mm suit though. I went to cozumel recently with the top and pants and it honestly was so easy to move in, not like a wetsuit. I didn't even feel warm on the boat before we got in the water. Pain in the ass to dry but very comfortable.

For sure - I'd thought about that. On the way to Jupiter I'm stopping off in Orlando and hoping some of the warm water dive shops have a better warm selection than my local cold water shops.

My computer was down so I haven't read all.
I only have made one tropical trip and wore a body suit, though I didn't have to (76F water).
I would always cover up in the tropics. There are way more things that can sting you than here in Nova Scotia. I have worn my shorty a lot for NY/CT shore dives and regretted not having my lower legs covered a time or two when meeting the jellies.

Living in the tropics, I still wear one. I don't wear a hood, but will always wear a suit. I had a remora get way too friendly with my bare leg in Belize a few years back. Didn't hurt me, but that's a weird feeling and experience I don't want to repeat.

Even in water 80-84F I have always worn a wetsuit--full wetsuit, not a shorty. Too many things that sting. On shore dives, where there are rocks, the wetsuit helps protect against abrasions, too. Because I like to minimize how much work I have to do to propel myself, I am rarely too warm. It's easy to cool oneself if necessary by letting a little water in the neck, but there is no way to warm oneself. Even in 79-80F water, I have gotten slightly chilly after an hour just drifting along.

I always wear a wetsuit, at least a 3mm shorty. Even in warm mid-summer Mediterranean seas (28 Celsius/82 Fahrenheit in South Greece, mid-July) I have yet to meet a diver without wetsuit.

I had a "relief zipper" installed in my wetsuit. I suppose I could regulate my temperature by how far open or closed the zipper is when I pee. :rofl3:

Don’t own one yet and haven’t used one since OW. With the deception of a trip to Roatan all my diving is in the Colombian Caribbean and the coldest it’s been there has been 77F (Sta Marta) and i was fine.

I’ve heard that on the Pacific side you need a wetsuit so I’m interested in getting a Henderson Greenpeen 3mm.

Back
Top Bottom