Always wear a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always cover up but with something like Lycra or Polartec. If I need more serious thermal protection I'm probably not diving. Hate constrictive suits too much - a prime reason I don't dive local anymore.

My go to for Caribbean temps (78-84'ish) is a full 1mm wet suit with lycra socks, shorts and long sleeve rash guard which helps get the wet suit on/off and to wear after I'm out of the wet suit. I'll switch to a full 3mm around 78 and lower... the long sleeve rash guard really helps get my arms/shoulders into the wet suit as I have broad shoulders.

After a couple dives registered temps over 84, I picked up 1.5mm wet suit pants to go with a rash guard top. But I haven't had a chance to use them yet as COVID has kept me from diving. :(

I like the full wet suit because I'm a very white white boy so it acts as sunscreen for most of my body and for protection from things that can sting in the water.

Cheers,
J

I always wear a wetsuit, gloves and hood. Unless I'm using a drysuit.

I ditched the wetsuit, for shorts, the first chance I got after courses, then I got rash burns from the BC on my soulders, so added a rash guard. After my first jellyfish encounter, I switched to a lycra suit. I suppose I'm slowly learning why most people wear wetsuits...

All of my diving has been in warm water, bordering on mid-20's to 30 C on average.

Yeah... maybe I'm the guy who has to touch the hot stove to see that it's hot! I haven't had an up close experience with a jellyfish or any of the other stinging things. Wetsuits are just a bummer compared to swimming around, but maybe I'm naive!

I always cover up but with something like Lycra or Polartec. If I need more serious thermal protection I'm probably not diving. Hate constrictive suits too much - a prime reason I don't dive local anymore.

Agreed on the restrictive suits. Unfortunately, like you I live in a cold water part of the world so it's drysuit/restrictive or vacation only.

Wondering how many folks on this site dive in a wetsuit regardless of the water temp, and how many ditch the wetsuit when the waters get warmer.

Noting that the OP is from the Minneapolis area, I will observe that in Minnesota I wear a wetsuit when there is any chance of encountering swimmer's itch, and when it's cold. There are very few places in Minnesota where the viz is greater than 12", it's warm, and there's no swimmer's itch. I have a 3mm two-piece freediving suit that is good to around 65 F and I mostly use that.

On a reef bimble in Key Largo, if it's warm enough, I just wear a swimsuit, because I enjoy the dive more that way.

Eighty degree water means 5mm for me if I'm doing repetitive, multi-day diving. Anything above 82 degrees is 3mm. But I get cold easily. Even in a drysuit it's not uncommon to see me in a merino base-layer, a mid-layer, and then my thermals.

Yeah... maybe I'm the guy who has to touch the hot stove to see that it's hot! I haven't had an up close experience with a jellyfish or any of the other stinging things. Wetsuits are just a bummer compared to swimming around, but maybe I'm naive!
If you have time to look around during a safety stop in the Caribbean (maybe while holding onto an ascent line so you don’t have to concentrate on buoyancy so much) you will see all sorts of things that you might not have noticed before. This is a good depth to observe jellyfish above you. It’s also a good opportunity to see all the tiny little things growing on the line if it’s one that permanently attached to a mooring ball. You did wear gloves, didn’t you?

If you have time to look around during a safety stop in the Caribbean (maybe while holding onto an ascent line so you don’t have to concentrate on buoyancy so much) you will see all sorts of things that you might not have noticed before. This is a good depth to observe jellyfish above you. It’s also a good opportunity to see all the tiny little things growing on the line if it’s one that permanently attached to a mooring ball. You did wear gloves, didn’t you?

On a recent dive outside of Seattle, we were eyeballing some of the dopey wolf eels. Our guide happened to look up to see an ENORMOUS lion's mane jelly shadowing us. Being as it was the Hood Canal, we were decked out in exposure gear, but it was sure an exciting moment.

Point taken. I DO always wear my gloves!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom