Always and I mean ALWAYS check equipment before diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mauifish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I move a lot, so I don't always get to use the same known LDS very much, I was recently living in the Austin area of Texas and brought my all my Scuba Pro equipment for service at one of the LDS in that area. Glide Pro BC with Air2, MK25/X650 Regs and had the orings replaced in the UWATEC smart com. and the quick disconnect. I asked for the service tech to make certain to check it all for leaks and function when I picked it up. The guy got kind defensive about me asking this and went into the {I have been doing this X number of years routine} He looked at shop owner and agreed to do a good check on the equipment. He brought the gear in back as I setteld up with the owner. After several minutes he returned and said all was in perfect shape and no problems.
Have you ever gotten that feeling things just weren't right? I had those feelings when I walked out the door. I have a liveaboard trip coming this weekend so I took all my gear to a shop that has a pool, as you would know it, the primary second stage reg leaked,and it wouldn't purge correctly, the inflator valve leaked filling up the BC slowly yet constantly, the first stage had issues which are being checked out as I type this, and the computer which I had never had a problem with would not indicate pressure:light:

Check your gear out personaly after every service before diving!!!!!

Mauifish:
Check your gear out personaly after every service before diving!!!!!

By taking it to a different dive shop and jumping in their pool?

Any shop that gets defensive about doing a function check is already suspicious in my book. I generally offer my customers a tank and request that they perform a function check themselves. Just like with firearms training, assume that nothing is safe until you have verified it yourself.

Perhaps it's time to start taking responsibility for your own gear instead of trusting it to some shop monkey?

RoatanMan:
By taking it to a different dive shop and jumping in their pool?

Please read my post again, I did state that the service tech took offense when asking to have the gear leak and function checked, they did not offer for me to use there pool, I am not sure they had a pool. The tech took the equipment and said "it all checks out good" The reason for my post is--- do not take it for granted that your gear works correctly. I spent a lot of money to go over a hundred miles out to sea on a liveaboard for a few days, my first dive would have been a swim back to the boat and that would have been it!! Money wasted and no dives!!

SparticleBrane:
Perhaps it's time to start taking responsibility for your own gear instead of trusting it to some shop monkey?

Oh great idea, then what happens to your warranty?

SparticleBrane:
Not to single you out, but this is a common topic. I think it might be too "extreme"- I think that divers should know how to test and recognize problems, but not necessarily know how to fix them. If they want to go the extra mile, more power to them.

The OP did a good job of testing the reg. Even without a pool, some of those problems would be easily detected.

Things like bleeding regs, loose hoses, worn hoses, non-function, are all easy to test after a service and before a dive. It might still breathe like crap, but this in itself won't be immediately dangerous.

Loneranger:
Common issue, most regs I have seen malfunction are fresh out of the shop???
Tomorrow I go out to FGB on a live aboard, I just got a call from the shop owner/technician whom is helping me with my regulator problems and computer problems. It seems as though the pressure sensor on the UWATEC SmartCom has been spiked hard and is shot, must be sent back to scubapro in El Cajon CA to be repaired. The X650 regulator is screwed beyond his scope of repair and has to be sent back to Scuba Pro for evaluation. Mean while I am having to rent and buy new equipment to make my trip. I will be calling the owner of the shop that jacked up my equipment and at least explain what has happened.

stevead:
Any shop that gets defensive about doing a function check is already suspicious in my book. I generally offer my customers a tank and request that they perform a function check themselves. Just like with firearms training, assume that nothing is safe until you have verified it yourself.

same procedure here..I'll even put an int. pressure gauge on regulator to show customer int pressure and that it does not creep..I prefer that they check it with me this way when items are picked up..

Back
Top Bottom