Aluminum Oxide Tumbling Chips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDiver07866

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got quoted a few places for $6 bucks a pound. I read that you need ~20lbs to tumble a tank $120 total for media?

I also found on McMaster they sell it pretty cheap, but I don’t know what size. Any recommendations on size/mesh?

Thanks for the help. I’m building a tumbler and before I start just want to know how to get my hands on media.

Thanks all

McMaster-Carr

Aluminum Oxide Grit
18-50 36
25-70 46
35-100 60/70
35-100 60
45-140 80
70-270 120
70-270 120
80-325 150
80-400 180
100-450 220
120-450 220

Thanks for the help. John is cool but ~$80 bucks cheaper to buy it from Mcmaster. It must pass like 4 middlemen to get to his shelf. I used him a ton of times for other items though.. very cool guy.. Just was not sure about the grit size. I think I'm going to get the 36 grit...besides.. it's not like i'm putting old bolts & nails like I hear some other guys doing..

Take care...dive safe

How did you get through to McMaster-Carr? Where they cool when you called in asking for part numbers? I haven't tried yet, that is why I'm asking.

I got quoted a few places for $6 bucks a pound. I read that you need ~20lbs to tumble a tank $120 total for media?

I also found on McMaster they sell it pretty cheap, but I don’t know what size. Any recommendations on size/mesh?

Thanks for the help. I’m building a tumbler and before I start just want to know how to get my hands on media.

Thanks all

McMaster-Carr

Aluminum Oxide Grit
18-50 36
25-70 46
35-100 60/70
35-100 60
45-140 80
70-270 120
70-270 120
80-325 150
80-400 180
100-450 220
120-450 220

Mesh sizes and grit sizes are confusing, but what you're looking at on McMaster's site above are small sizes for blasting, not the larger size for tumbling.

In 2001, I paid $0.70 per lb for #6 aluminum oxide media (chips) from an abrasives supplier in Massachusetts. (50-lb bag). No shipping was needed, so it was a great deal.

That was US #6 MESH size, meaning the material was screened with a mesh with 6 openings per linear inch, yielding nothing bigger than about 0.130" average cross-section, random-shaped chips. It is considered "coarse" media.

Here's a particle size chart that might be helpful:

Particle Size Conversion Table

I've just Googled, but couldn't find any suppliers of aluminum oxide chips of #6 mesh size. My internet search in 2001 was also difficult and I didn't find this media until phone contacts led to a distributor.

You're close to industrial areas and I'm sure someone will point you to a supplier.

By the way, I'd recommend getting 50 pounds of media. I put almost all of that amount into a steel HP120 to reach a little more than half-full, which seems to tumble the ends well.

Good luck! :)

Dave C

i think what you are looking is more this kind of media
McMaster-Carr
price wise it is double price compare to NESS

Thanks for the help. John is cool but ~$80 bucks cheaper to buy it from Mcmaster. It must pass like 4 middlemen to get to his shelf. I used him a ton of times for other items though.. very cool guy.. Just was not sure about the grit size. I think I'm going to get the 36 grit...besides.. it's not like i'm putting old bolts & nails like I hear some other guys doing..

Take care...dive safe

ha I don’t use old nuts but when I collected a lot of construction scraps, I cut up a lot of nails and it makes great media. Only used for dry tumbling though as the bare metal nails rust fast if they get wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom