Aluminum Hydro Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbeck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently took my US Divers 80CF 3000 PSI tanks (which I bought new in 1975) to my dive shop for hydro testing. I was told that the testing facility would not even test the tanks because aluminum tanks of this vintage are showing stress fractures and so all of them are being condemned.

Can anybody confirm or deny this information?

Secondarily, if this is true, it seems to me that my lifetime warranty should somehow kick in. (Not that I haven't gotten my money's worth of diving out of these tanks :07: ) Does anyone know who,if anyone, is handling US Diver warranties?

Thanks!!

rbeck:
I recently took my US Divers 80CF 3000 PSI tanks (which I bought new in 1975) to my dive shop for hydro testing. I was told that the testing facility would not even test the tanks because aluminum tanks of this vintage are showing stress fractures and so all of them are being condemned.

Secondarily, if this is true, it seems to me that my lifetime warranty should somehow kick in. (Not that I haven't gotten my money's worth of diving out of these tanks :07: ) Does anyone know who,if anyone, is handling US Diver warranties?

Thanks!!

I'd say for you're lucky to get even half that time out of an Al tank is good. I'm hoping to get 5yrs out of my Al tanks, and will switch to steel.

rbeck:

Thanks!!

Some tanks of that era are showing signs (they are of a specific alloy) and no they are not being condemmed(just ones that fail), they just require extra testing that the hydro facility may not be willing to do.. Current regs require all tanks with the questionable alloy to be examined for stress load cracking (done by hand and mirrors this takes some time, probably at least 15 or 20 minutes to not miss anything), in that time the hydro facility coud do several tanks.. The other option is for the facility to buy an eddy current tester with all the options its around $2500 or so, now it takes a few minutes to test..

But the final thing is the Hydrofacility can decide they dont want to test those tanks, so find another.

They're telling you the truth about OLD AL80 tanks.

Randy

rbeck:

Thanks!!

rbeck:

Thanks!!

The alloy 6351-T6 used from 1972 to 1988 make the tanks susceptible to sustained load cracking (SLC) in the neck and shoulder, from what I understood (the no BS answer) that the alloy contained lead "pockets". (don't quote me, I had someone simplify the metallurgical analysis :wink: )

As far as the USD tanks, Mine were supposed to be covered under the lifetime warantee but because the receipt wasn't specific as far as individual tank numbers and contained no information that proved me as the original owner (even though it was a credit card imprint with my name). AND that the shop I bought them from in 1985 is no longer in business and they can't verify the purchase.

In 2002, Luxfer had a trade in offer that only lasted for a few months where they would give you $50 to buy a new Luxfer tank if you shipped them your old one. After the shipping cost I would have made almost $19 per tank!

Anyway, they're (over) due for hydro so I'll let you know how it goes.

:banghead:

Just found an official list, pretty much says they're all suspect...

Here is "The List" of scuba tanks that the DOT says are most likely made from the 6351-T6 aluminum alloy:

* All DOT-3AL tanks manufactured under one of the following exemptions or special permits: 6498, 7042, 8107, 8364, 8422
* All composite cylinders manufactured under one of the following exemptions: 7235, 8023, 8115
* All Walter Kidde DOT-3AL scuba tanks.
* All Cliff Impact DOT-3AL scuba tanks made before July 1990.
* All Luxfer 80.8 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S80.8) made before May 1987.
* All Luxfer 72 and 100 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S72, S100) made before August 1987.
* All Luxfer 80 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S80) made before January 1988.
* All Luxfer 50 and 92 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S50, S92) made before April 1988.
* All Luxfer 30 and 63 cu. ft scuba tanks (S30, S63) made before May 1988.
* All Luxfer 40 cu. ft. scuba tanks (S40) made before June 1988.
* All other scuba tanks made in the US before February 1990 (except Catalina).
* All scuba tanks not made in the US.

Unless proven otherwise, all scuba tanks in the above list should be assumed as being made using the 6351-T6 alloy.

I have one of those (USD '79) that passes hydro a couple of years ago and VIP/Eddy recently. However, hydro or not, some shops are refusing to fill any of the older alloy tanks, period. So, before spending $$ on a hydro at another facility, check with local LDS's on whether they'll fill.

another "lifetime warranty" problem ? ............... check out the thread "dumped on by diving companies again" and hope you have better luck with your tanks than I did with my regulators ....

I understand the problem with the old alumminum tanks, but is this still a problem with new alumminum tanks? I just came from my lds (for a fill) and the lds owner told me alumminum tanks were far more reliable, and the longevity is far superior to steel.(he had 2 used al80's that passed hydro for $100.00 a piece) With the comment made about using alumminum for 5 years and dumping it for steel, now i'm wondering if buying a new al100 was a mistake.

it you have a couple of 6153 tanks, I suggest you turn them into lamps for the den. If they are that old, they probably dont owe you anything and the SLC in the neck is a real problem, I know, I have seen teh cracks. There was a lot of panic among divestores and owners etc regarding these tanks, but there was also a real problem with this metal.

Invest in some new ones.

Back
Top Bottom