Adapter for hydro.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Evening all. Hope all is going well with you.

I have a few vintage steel tanks with the odd 1/2" NPS o-ring sealed valve. Every time i take these tanks to get a hydro, there is always some kind of issue about an adapter for the 1/2" thread.

What kind of adapter do hydro places use? Is that something inexpensive enough that I could get one to take to the facility so there's not always an issue getting the tests?

I like the tanks so just telling me to swap the tanks for 3/4" thread tanks is not the advice I'm looking for even though it would be easier.

Thanks for any info you might have.

it is not an adapter that is practical for you to own as it contains a hydraulic quick disconnect fitting that is used to raise/lower the tanks and quick connect for filling them. Usually called "spuds", they're big honking chunks of brass and would be rather impractical for you to own.
Do you take your tanks directly to hydro or is it through a dive shop? If thru a shop you may want to go to the hydro shop directly or contact someone like Hydro Dave in Florida.

with the adapter and quick disconnect, probably around $150. you can check out hydro-test.com to look into it if they are using the same hydro setup.

Dave

Thanks guys.

I take my tanks to the facility myself because the way the shops handle things is not always efficient.

I've dropped off tanks and they waited in the shop for 2 weeks then a week at the test facility then wait for pickup and visual and fill. It can be a month or better. Add on the delay for the test facility to find the adapter if they have it and it can get ridiculous.

I have 5 if these vintage 1/2" NPS neck tanks now so it may be worth it for my own adapter.

Going to have to get certified for visuals too. It's all about convenience.

The 1/2" NPS tank neck is still a very common industrial and fire extinguisher pressure vessel applications. I am very surprised that the hydro station doesn't have one handy. They must cater only to scuba.

I would just make a few calls and find a different hydro facility.

It's funny but this is the second facility without an adapter. The drive shops are also having a problem with inspection lights being to big to fit in the neck for the visual.

Seems like i need to have my own inspection light and adapter to keep using these tanks. 😆😆😆

It's funny but this is the second facility without an adapter. The drive shops are also having a problem with inspection lights being to big to fit in the neck for the visual.

Seems like i need to have my own inspection light and adapter to keep using these tanks. 😆😆😆
wow, we have fiber and 1/8 led lights for inspection. send it on over to maui! we’ll take care if it for you! 🤙😎😝

I am not surprised about your LDS not having a small light, but I am surprised about the hydro facility.

I used to run a hydro machine, but that was a few decades ago, so maybe things have changed even for industrial cylinder.

We did have a LDS here in Portland Maine that did a lot of life raft cylinders (many foreign cylinders). Many if not most of the DOT cylinders were still 1/2" NPS.

Also CO2 bottles for the beverage industry were common with the same neck, CO2 fire extinguisher, the portable O2 bottles used in many ambulances (if they are steel) are also 1/2" NPS, etc. I know a lot of the new O2 bottles are now aluminum with straight threads, but I still se a lot of old steel ones with the old tapered necks.

Maybe times have changed...

wow, we have fiber and 1/8 led lights for inspection. send it on over to maui! we’ll take care if it for you! 🤙😎😝
Thanks for the offer. I think shipping might be a little excessive... Like 3 times the tank cost but i will keep you in mind. 😁

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom