Aluminum 80 fix?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a complicated fix...

What I do on my Al 80s which I sling as stages,is I have a cam belt strap with 2 weight pockets that I put the weights into, and can then slide them on and off as required.

You could just use a weight belt with weights threaded on to go around the cylinder.

Like you I like having the trim weights required for the cylinder on the cylinder, which means if you detach the cylinder the trim weight stays with it and doesn't affect your main weighting

I find that 2lbs is enough to keep cylinder from floating ( although I've never taken them to less than 30 bar).

Last edited:
I did not read the entire thread. There are all types of weights that can be purchased for SCUBA tanks (boots, straps, etc.) You can customize the exact weight you want and the location on the tank. Good idea to make your diving experience more comfortable with DIY customization.

This sounds quite workable, if you always use your own tanks.

But I don't ... I'm a vacation diver, and even before 9/11 the airlines were VERY restrictive about carrying scuba tanks. I'm going to have to settle for whatever the dive-boat has available, which generally means aluminum 80s

I've been using weight-pockets mounted on my cam-bands, diving my Nomad-ized TransPac. Two pounds for each tank was enough to keep the dive-boat's Al 80s neutral, or at least not too floaty, down to 1000 PSI (70 bar). I suppose three pounds might have been better ...? But the problem with tank-mounted weight-pockets is that they can catch on stuff.

The point of this project is to make these two matched Luxfer AL80s act like steel side mount tanks. I know I can put bands on the tanks with weight pouches and such but to me that is not a "clean" approach (my personal opinion). I am not concerned with removing the weight quickly and once I get my steels I will simply knock the boots off and they can be stage tanks and will act that way with the boots/weight removed. I got my silicone cake pan yesterday while I was out diving, so I will start casting this week.

The point of this project is to make these two matched Luxfer AL80s act like steel side mount tanks. I know I can put bands on the tanks with weight pouches and such but to me that is not a "clean" approach (my personal opinion). I am not concerned with removing the weight quickly and once I get my steels I will simply knock the boots off and they can be stage tanks and will act that way with the boots/weight removed. I got my silicone cake pan yesterday while I was out diving, so I will start casting this week.
Yer durned tootin' weight pouches aren't a 'clean' approach!

We're talking apples-and-oranges here, and I beg your pardon for my inappropriate answer. I hope your new silicone cake pan is able to stand up to the temperature of molten lead.

No no no, no offense taken. I just think some people are reading more into this project than it is.

I have been diving just over a year and in that time I have spent mounds and mounds of money. Certified myself to Advanced, got my daughter certified, one day son-in-law certified, two dry suits, Petrel 2 and the list goes on and on. I CAN afford two steel HP100s but I REALLY love my wife and would like to stay married for a long time. In order to accomplish this task I need to reign in my dive spending at the least until next year. Sooooooooooooooo, if I can make two of my three aluminum tanks behave like steels so I can actively get good solid side mount dives in, then I totally win.

They advertise the pan I got to 600* so I should be good. My alloy stays molten at 525* and should cool quickly enough to not harm the pan. If it does I will simply go with a rusted steel pan.

Not yet, but when we go back to St. Marteen in May she was to do a Discovery dive, so there is hope.

You don't need that much lead to make them ride horizontal - at least for cave diving which is almost always in fresh water 2lbs on the cam band will have it riding level.

Would be no different than a steel. Which is kinda the point.

Except that an Exemption 80 steel would weigh 8 lb less than your weighted AL80 and hold more air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom