Aluminium & Titanium 1st stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've done some searching but not found much on these materials used for 1st stages. So now I'm looking for some serious comments...

The main reason for asking is that often we travel w/ our regs & of course both these materials save weight! (albeit: it needs to go back onto the weight belt! but airlines don't really care about that when they charge us for excess baggage!).

So here's a start...

TITANIUM
Pros:
- great material, strong, light & durable
Cons:
- higher prices
- generally limited by high O2 tank usage
- which affect Nitrox mixes
- may combust into flames w/ v. high O2 concentrations
eg. a pure O2 bottle

ALUMINIUM
Pros:
- light weight
Cons:
- oxidizing w/ sea water

----------------------------

Also:

Some people have suggested that they do not 'trust' aluminium 1st stages coz oxidation can creep internally & compromise the structure. eg. get blown off at 3000psi

Personally, I would think that all the major manufacturers would be smart enough to produce a 1st stage that didn't casue such liability for themselves?!

But then, it has been proven (from readings) that if you attach a titanium 1st stage to a pure O2 tank, that it could instantly burst into flames....

What does everyone have to say about this??

Curious.....

I think you're properly informed about titanium. I don't know much about aluminum so I'll reserve comment about that. As a general rule I would suggest that the weight requirements of airlines should not be on the list of considerations when choosing a regulator. If you carry it on they almost never weigh it.

R..

If I hear the poster right, he may not be worried about what the airline thinks about the weight, but that he has to carry it.

If that is the case, I can sympathize. We have two kids and when I go back to the US to visit and dive for a few weeks, the last thing I want to carry on (with two small kids) is anything heavy. We are thinking about going to Titanium for weight savings there (and elsewhere).

These are the units I have seriously considered...

For me, the king of Ti regs is the Atomic, but it has the king of price tags as well. Env sealed (TiX model), 2 years service intervals, great performance (if you can trust reviews).

The scuba pro is a nice unit as well, swiveling ports. But it is not sealed and I do some cold diving so it has not been on my list. You can get it for about 60 to 70% of the atomic as well. I think SP has a nice warrantee that covers the parts in annual servicing for the life of the reg, but you might check on that...

The Genesis Oz caught my attention. The least expensive, though I think it might utilize brass internal parts (they call it monel). It is sealed in a way that seems to be similar to Sherwood, air sealing, but I admit that I am not conversant in Sherwood so it might be differnet. The first stage vents upon ascending.

JAG

I've heard good things about the Mares Ruby & the Atomic...They seem to be the popular one's amogst many lite-weight reg owners.

Monel is a alloy that is very resistant to corrision but doesn't have the O2 problems of titanium.

There have been some problems with the aluminum ultra light first stages and for the amount of weight you are saving I don't really think the $ is worth it. You are only talking about 1lb or so in must cases.

The Atomics are great regs but the B1, M1, T1 all perform the same but the price is quite different.

Much easier and less costly ways to save weight when traveling. I fly all over Asia diving carrying lots of gear and never pay overcharges w/o any Titanium regs and many times I carry my SS backplate also.

japan-diver:
Monel is a alloy that is very resistant to corrision but doesn't have the O2 problems of titanium.

An alloy similar to brass but far suprior in terms of resistance to seawater, although it is also heavy like brass.

you will save by my calculation 1 kg by changing to Ti reg, is it worth it for the money, save the weight somewhere else

Aluminum first stages are more susceptible to corrosion than chrome plated brass and they are suceptible to dissimilar metal corrosion. With the HP and LP port plugs you need to keep the threads lubricated and should be using a small plastic washer on the outside to attempt to keep the metals isolated as much as possible. The threads throughout the entire first stage also require a fair amount of care to avoid stripping or cross threading them even before they begin to corrode.

Personally I think chrome plated brass has 40 plus years of successful service behind it and it is hard to question it in terms of durability and general suitability.

Scubapro has recently developed the MK 25 STA using a combination of aluminum and stainless steel to overcome the most grevious shortcomings in an aluminum first stage. It is only an ounce or so heavier than the Mk 20 UL or Mk 25 TA first stages and given the limitations of aluminum and titanium first stages it would be my choice if I absolutely had to have a light weight first stage.

OK - am I missing something here? I just weighed one of my brass Apeks DS4's. It worked out to just a little over 1 whole teeny weeny pound. That's it.

Why go to the huge expense and limitations of an alternative metal first stage when all you're saving is, at most, a percentage of one pound???? In your carry on luggage, we're talking about the difference in weight of what - maybe half a plastic bottle of water?

Boogie711:
Why go to the huge expense and limitations of an alternative metal first stage when all you're saving is, at most, a percentage of one pound????

'Cuz it's COOL boogie! The gearhead (or techno-nerd) population is indeed a mighty demographic in diving. Any miniscule reason to buy newer and better stuff... I'm feeling the shakes just thinking about titanium. MUST RESIST!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom