Altitude after diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the education.....I don't do much diving inland. What a hazard at those elevations! Interesting.

Roakey - I went to Homestead Crater, UT. 6,000 ft elevation. Then I came home over I-70, Vail pass is supposed to be 10,666 ft. I don't know if that's the exact number, but I rounded up to 11,000 as per usual. I made it home from Homestead in 7 hours. Had the jeep doing a pretty good clip. :D Others talked about taking I-80 home, but that's a ten hour drive I believe. No elevation extremes to talk about though.

Sirenmyst - Colorado has a lot of extreme elevations. It really plays havoc with your dive profiles. You are correct in that it's a lot to factor in and something I envy about sea-level diving. But when in Denver, you've got to do something to keep from going crazy, and soaking my head is a good way to do it.

While this has it's own set of problems and doesn't work like one would think at first glance, a simple solution is to treat your dive as though it is occurring at the elevation of the pass you are going to ... and then add a surface interval for padding. Another alternative is to use software that takes such an issue into consideration (sorry ... a little plug there). The NOAA tables do not take every factor into consideration. For example, I do not know of any one that would advocate diving to a table's limit and then immediately go to any elevation. However, NOAA's tables allow just that. A dive to 110' for 20 minutes (Navy limit) would result in a designation of "G" upon surfacing - which NOAA would then allow the diver to immediately ascend to 3000'. Naturally this does not make sense because if the limit is reached at sea level, then no more pressure can be reduced around the diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom