Alternatives to Halcyon ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just remember that the LDS you're talking about is not an authorized dealer for OMS, Zeagle or Oxycheq. I'm not sure how Oxycheq works. However, with regard to the others, you'll probably need to look elsewhere for your customer support since they won't be able to get parts and the techs won't work on gear that they are not certified to repair.

So long as that is not an issue and you are prepared to deal with that issue, Oxycheq and Zeagle both seem to make quality gear. Unfortunatley, the local Zeagle dealer, who is located in Manchester, CT, is someone with whom I will not do business.

With regard to OMS, I wouldn't do a pool dive with their gear because of their propensity for making vaporware and the utter lack of customer support. I do own one of their deco regs, which I've converted for use on an argon pre-purge bottle.

I own a couple of pieces of Dive-Rite gear and dive with a couple of guys in Transpacs. Dive-Rite seems to have their act together and I've had good luck with their customer service.

I've never used Oxycheq and can't comment on them.

kidspot:
Got a question that's "sorta" in the same vein as this thread - Is the DIR config for the corrugated hose on the wing 12 inch? 1) Is this for reasons of drag or is it easier for dumping air? I'm going to be learning in a Dive-Rite Venture wing (Thanks gator for your advice on it - it's a nice wing) and I believe it has a 22 inch hose on it plus the "pull dump." 2) Is the problem with the pull dump that one might "pull" it off? or is there another concern (since if you never pull on it wouldn't it remain the same) Just wanting to know the reasoning behind all of this - I know the thrid difference is that the venture (and many other non-halcyon) have the ball on the lower dump valve - but that's easily removed. Onebrightgator I'd appreciate your take on this too since if I remember right you are diving this rig still aren't you?

Thanks for letting me add to the original question a bit.

Tim

btw - If this is too much of a "hickack" on this thread I'll be happy to move it to a new thread.
Most people will find the 12" hose too short. Also an FYI, the Oxycheq wings come standard with a 14" hose.

Regards,

Oxycheq also offers Scott Koplin backplates, and Scott can be contacted directly for his backplates and other gear as well.

I dive a Koplin double thick backplate and weighted STA, Dive Rite spg, Terkel spools, various HID canisters (none of them Halcyon). The only thing on my rig that is Halcyon is the wing and the Scouts. And I have a Halcyon coolmax baseball cap, 'cuz its pretty.

You can be completely DIR and using absolutely no Halcyon gear, if that's your preference. But I don't think you should be looking for cheaper alternatives; good gear is going to cost you, but then you save money in the long run by not buying the latest stupid gadget that DEMA and the industry promotes. Investing in a simple, high quality, logical rig is a good move no matter how you look at it.

Sell your old stuff to defray some of the cost, you'll never want to dive it again anyway.

:)

Somebody please enlighten me. I am not DIR but have looked into it extensively and am waiting for the next DIR-F in So. Cal. Just missed Catalina this weekend! I was just about to purchase a new BC. I decided to go back inflate. What is the difference between back inflate and wings/plate. This may seem niave but ya gotta learn. Don't want to buy something that I have to toss next year.

If you have any intention of going DIR, do NOT go and buy a back-inflate BC. It's too late now to get into everything, so I'll give you homework. First step - do a search on "backplate." That will keep you occupied for 3 years.

Then go to Halcyon.com - search on retailers and find one near you. Go there, ask lots of questions.

But you can't even take DIR-F in anything but a backplate and wings now, anyway. But that's OK - once you get in a properly fitted backplate and wing, you'll wonder why it took you that long to find one.

gr8white:
Somebody please enlighten me. I am not DIR but have looked into it extensively and am waiting for the next DIR-F in So. Cal. Just missed Catalina this weekend! I was just about to purchase a new BC. I decided to go back inflate. What is the difference between back inflate and wings/plate. This may seem niave but ya gotta learn. Don't want to buy something that I have to toss next year.

If you are planning on taking a DIRF class a BP/wing set up is mandatory for the class meaning you can not use your average back inflate bc such as a knighthawk, ranger, etc. There are many different BP suppliers and a handful of good wing suppliers. See below for just a few of those

http://www.halcyon.net/dir/index.shtml
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/index.shtml
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/eclipse.shtml
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/pioneer.shtml
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/explorer.shtml
http://www.oxycheq.com/backplates.html
http://www.oxycheq.com/Wings.html

Boogie711:
If you have any intention of going DIR, do NOT go and buy a back-inflate BC. It's too late now to get into everything, so I'll give you homework. First step - do a search on "backplate." That will keep you occupied for 3 years.

Then go to Halcyon.com - search on retailers and find one near you. Go there, ask lots of questions.

But you can't even take DIR-F in anything but a backplate and wings now, anyway. But that's OK - once you get in a properly fitted backplate and wing, you'll wonder why it took you that long to find one.

Dirty dog....ya beat me to it :D

Whirling Girl:
You can be completely DIR and using absolutely no Halcyon gear, if that's your preference. But I don't think you should be looking for cheaper alternatives; good gear is going to cost you, but then you save money in the long run by not buying the latest stupid gadget that DEMA and the industry promotes. Investing in a simple, high quality, logical rig is a good move no matter how you look at it.

Sell your old stuff to defray some of the cost, you'll never want to dive it again anyway.

:)

Excellent.

Can we all say it together: DIR (inasmuch as its not about the gear, I'm using the gear context for reference) is not about the brand of the gear, its about the type and configuration.

WG you're rockin.

K

PS: I got the hat too, but not because "its pretty...." Uh, not that there's anything wrong with that.

kidspot:
Got a question that's "sorta" in the same vein as this thread - Is the DIR config for the corrugated hose on the wing 12 inch? 1) Is this for reasons of drag or is it easier for dumping air?
Yes... so you can easily reach your drysuit inflator at the same time as the LPI, and not have a bunch of hose hanging.
I'm going to be learning in a Dive-Rite Venture wing (Thanks gator for your advice on it - it's a nice wing) and I believe it has a 22 inch hose on it plus the "pull dump."
22"? That seems WAY excessive. I don't even like 16.
Geez... I just measured it out and 22" puts the LPI near my left hip D-ring, and I'm 6'3"!
2) Is the problem with the pull dump that one might "pull" it off? or is there another concern (since if you never pull on it wouldn't it remain the same)
It's a failure point, and since it's never used, it's an unnecessary failure point, thus it's to be avoided. It is also not going to be obvious to you that it has failed. Your buddy SHOULD notice and point it out, but what then? If your butt-dump fails, a slight head-up attitude will keep the wing from dumping. With a failed shoulder dump, you would be forced to finish the dive head-down, or resort to using your suit for buoyancy.

RichLockyer:
{shoulder dump} It's a failure point, and since it's never used, it's an unnecessary failure point, thus it's to be avoided.

Right on. Hey Kid, as much as its a "you don't need it because XYZ, so take it off" thing, ask youself why add it to the rig? You got the "butt-dump" (cute) and you got the inflator dump. If you don't need it (and you don't) why add it?

I get the taking stuff away thing. You should also look at the "why add it" thing... This is why so most DIR divers are pretty simple and our rigs are empty and low tech in their config. We haven't been able to answer the question "why add it."

I'll tell you this, there'd be a lot fewer Trident Display divers / human Christmas Trees (sorry Cetacea) if more people asked why add something....

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom