Alternative to pseudoephedrine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone recommend a good alternative to pseudoephedrine for help with keeping eustachian tubes cleared up during a dive trip? Sudafed has long been in my dive kit but I recently learned it is illegal in Mexico (where I dive most trips) and people have been jailed for bringing it on vacation. I'm not willing to risk that so looking for an alternative. I have found plenty of lists of what doesn't work during my search but no positive alternative recommendations except Flonase, and I would rather not use a spray if I can help it. Thanks.

There’s nothing else that really works. You might try Flonase, although I don’t know why you’re objecting to a spray. I actually have to use both daily due to allergies.

Any prescription cortesone works wonders, I personally like Decortine 20mg 2x Daily starting the night before diving. after 2-3 days you should be able to cut the dosage in half (10mg 2x daily). now all you have to do is find a Dr that will write you a decent sized prescription (like 50 or 100x 20mg pills). Side effects can include an altered sense of smell, taste, reduced resistance to sunburn, and many others - but for me , even though I'm a Type 1 diabetic, its worth it.

Michael

There’s nothing that really works. You might try Flonase, although I don’t know why you’re objecting to a spray. I actually have to use both daily due to allergies.
I suffer from seasonal pollen allergies. Give Flonase ( or the generic equivalent) at least a week to become effective

for me, the neilmed sinus rinse did wonders. I used to always have trouble with sinus squeezes. I used it twice a day for a about a week or two prior to a driving trip, and realized on that trip I didn't get squeezes anymore. And since then, they've never come back. Maybe I had a chronic infection that it helped clear out? Anyway, it's a non-pharmaceutical thing you can easily try.

Have you already tried phenylephrine, AKA Sudafed PE? You can buy it without ID stateside and it's legal in Mexico. Some say it doesn't work as well; others feel it works well enough.

for me, the neilmed sinus rinse did wonders. I used to always have trouble with sinus squeezes. I used it twice a day for a about a week or two prior to a driving trip, and realized on that trip I didn't get squeezes anymore. And since then, they've never come back. Maybe I had a chronic infection that it helped clear out? Anyway, it's a non-pharmaceutical thing you can easily try.
I use a NeilMed neti pot with their saline rinse before every dive trip - I think it helps as well.

I'm in the same boat, horrible sinuses.. I do the rinse, sudafed, flonase daily. Recently added ibuprofen the morning of each dive.

I feel your pain.

On a side note, if you crush up the sudafed and put in in a small baggie they'll never know. You'll be fine:)

I have chronical sinusitis. For me a low dose cortisone nasal spray works best to keep the upper airways somewhat clear. The benefit of these is that you well never ever get a reverse block using these. I would be careful with oral cortisone tablets as some people get heavy side effects from them. (both psychological and physical).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom