Alternative to pseudoephedrine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to pseudoephedrine for help with keeping eustachian tubes cleared up during a dive trip? Sudafed has long been in my dive kit but I recently learned it is illegal in Mexico (where I dive most trips) and people have been jailed for bringing it on vacation. I'm not willing to risk that so looking for an alternative. I have found plenty of lists of what doesn't work during my search but no positive alternative recommendations except Flonase, and I would rather not use a spray if I can help it. Thanks.

Sorry, this is another spray recommendation, but some people find oxymetazoline to be beneficial. Of course the standard precautions apply: read the instructions, ensure that you aren't allergic to any of the components, and consult your primary care practitioner with questions. Additional diving precautions are that you don't want it wearing off at pressure so you have to space the doses properly. Also, if you use it longer than three days running, you risk a paradoxical inflammatory response when you do stop using it.

I would strongly advise caution with requesting a steroid prescription as recommended by another user. While this may be an option for some people with a severe, chronic inflammatory process, steroids can have significant side effects, including immunosuppression (something you probably don't want when traveling), and are not for use in circumstances where other, milder medications are available and effective.

Best regards,
DDM

I use both generic loratadine (Claritin) and fluticasone (Flonase) daily to control allergies and sinus congestion. They have worked wonders for me for years, and they are inexpensive being generic OTC.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to pseudoephedrine for help with keeping eustachian tubes cleared up during a dive trip? Sudafed has long been in my dive kit but I recently learned it is illegal in Mexico (where I dive most trips) and people have been jailed for bringing it on vacation. I'm not willing to risk that so looking for an alternative. I have found plenty of lists of what doesn't work during my search but no positive alternative recommendations except Flonase, and I would rather not use a spray if I can help it. Thanks.

So what’s the story behind the aversion to sprays?

The spray thing is twofold. First, I have avoided any nasal sprays since learning the ones with zinc can destroy your sense of smell. Easy to avoid any similar problems if I just don't use them! That wouldn't apply to most allergy or decongestant sprays of course, but the second reason is that I have an extremely sensitive gag reflex. It gets triggered by nasal sprays with any significant amount of post nasal drip, so taking any kind of medication that way is unpleasant at best.

Have you already tried phenylephrine, AKA Sudafed PE? You can buy it without ID stateside and it's legal in Mexico. Some say it doesn't work as well; others feel it works well enough.
I was going to pile on here, but you said you already found lists of what doesn't work (all of which should have this in the number one spot) and so don't need more info on what doesn't work. So, I will refrain from saying that Sudafed PE is crap and don't waste your money and time on it.

Yeah the hatred for Sudafed PE is widespread so I'd already ruled it out. I do appreciate all the other suggestions though. I am going to look into all of them. Thank you to everyone for your tips!

Check your Sudafed a few years ago the stuff with pseudo became prescription only here. The Sudafed you buy no longer has pseudo in it.

Check your Sudafed a few years ago the stuff with pseudo became prescription only here. The Sudafed you buy no longer has pseudo in it.

In Illinois, you have to sign at the pharmacy for it, but no prescription needed. I take Zyrtec D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom