Alpha flag when shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Don't know when it changed. I'm sure Sam would have though.

I was thinking about him today. I have an old steel 72 with a San Diego Diving Locker sticker on it and was wondering what history he would have on the shop. There is a U. S. Govt stencil on the tank too.

Here is the tank.

I know. Off topic.....

Attachments

• PXL_20220907_032912234.jpg
    PXL_20220907_032912234.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20220907_032917089.jpg
    PXL_20220907_032917089.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 76
Don't know when it changed. I'm sure Sam would have though.

I worked with Sam for over a year on his The History of Dive Flags thread and we couldn't nail it down. Maybe members with old copies of the Navy's Blue Jacket's Manual or Chapman Piloting & Seamanship can check them so we can put together at timeline?

It seems like i remember The uw operations still being mentioned in the late 80s and early 90s COLREGS... But i read allot and retain only bits of info sou may be wrong on that....

Don't know if you have seen it.

I have not but bookmarking it now. This is interesting:

Letter191319271938World War II1957-PresentSignal Flag
AAbleAffirmativeAfirmAfirm (Able)Alfa:alphaflag:

"Afirm" is new to me, I have always read the name was Able. I think it changed from Able to Alfa for NATO in 1955 but can't remember where we got that.

Back
Top Bottom