Alor ? Best of Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could always check out Sumatra. If you're looking for off the bubbled path there's a private island called Cubadak reached from Jakarta > Padang where Marco will have you driven across the island to Corococ Port and boat transfer. There's only a few (less than ten) bungalows diving on demand - not Komodo RA or Alor standards but for beaching it, it's a lovely peaceful place. Heaps of little black tips so it appears to be a bit of a shark nursery. It's the beginning of the mentawi island chain so Indian Ocean.

Sumatra topside is fascinating - Lake Toba is worth the bumpy roads. Lots of culture.

Another option is Bangka Sulawesi not Bangka Sumatra - from Bangka there's day trips over to Lembeh and Bunaken. Topside, climb Mt Tangkoko to see Tarsiers in the wild, hornbills, cuscus and the uber cool crested macaque or Yaki...surfing monkeys with loveheartd on their bums and Mohawks will put a smile on anyone's face. There's also the highlands flower village of Tomohon quite nearby so you have quite a few topside options, Bangka, Lembeh, bunaken and mainland manado diving without too much travel time between the three - no planes needed.
Thanks for all this- it gives me a lot of stuff to think about- I'll pass this onto the other in the group and go from there!

If you are interested in land excursion in Yogyakarta, about an hour flight from Denpasar to middle of Java.

Prambanan - Wikipedia

IMG_5833.jpg

Borobudur - Wikipedia

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5835.jpg

Dan did you like Yogyakarta? A lot?

I still prefer Bali. However, for those who haven't seen Borobudur & Prambanan temples, I highly recommend them to check them out at least once, if they have enough of Bali.

BTW, I never have enough of Bali even after 10 years of visiting the place every year. There are so much to do, see & dive there.

I still prefer Bali. However, for those who haven't seen Borobudur & Prambanan temples, I highly recommend them to check them out at least once, if they have enough of Bali.

BTW, I never have enough of Bali even after 10 years of visiting the place every year. There are so much to do, see & dive there.
Good to know...I may just have to do Bali again in conjunction with Alor! I want to go somewhere that has diving AND land excursions!

Good to know...I may just have to do Bali again in conjunction with Alor! I want to go somewhere that has diving AND land excursions!

Good call. If you haven't seen Oceanic Mola-Mola (see my avatar), dive in Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida around July-September.

Good call. If you haven't seen Oceanic Mola-Mola (see my avatar), dive in Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida around July-September.
Nope - we just missed them Last year but so far folks are saying the best time to dive Alor is Sept / OCt

The nice thing about Indonesia is that you can do village tours in so many places. We often visit villages when we are on boats. In Alor we always get to dive with the kids which is a highlight of the trip for me. You can check out how cute and amazing they are with their homemade goggles in the link below! They row and swim out to the boat to say Hi and get treats. Last year we brought them soccer balls, tee shirts and badminton sets. Very cool for us because they sang songs for us...love those kids. I have watched a few of them grow up. Anak Anak...The Children of Alor, Indonesia

We also toured Maumere last summer and actually had a blast. They took us down to the Indian Ocean side of Flores and it was very interesting because they showed us how they made their traditional Ikats. Museums, markets, churches they have it all... and are extremely proud to show visitors.

Back
Top Bottom