Alor ? Best of Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know...I may just have to do Bali again in conjunction with Alor! I want to go somewhere that has diving AND land excursions!

There are certainly land excursion on many islands in Indo (I am not an expert). For example you can see colored lakes in Flores, and animals on Borneo. Most of these islands are not as well-touristed as Bali -- that might be something you want, or something you want to avoid....

- Bill

for example you can see colored lakes in Flores,
Yes but it's not a day trip from Labuan Bajo/Komodo, it will take 2-3 days to get there.
I was about to mention the whole island of Flores as landtrips, but then is your friend ready to leave the group for 3-4 days.
Coupling Maumere (which is near Kelimutu lakes) with Alor could have been an option but the diving is really so so...more like an opportunity to sunbathe on the sun deck of a boat with some corals-without-fish-diving in between.
That said Flores is really beautiful, even more than Bali on the nature side.

Well it looks like there is a change of plans- Alor is OUT of the itinerary, so now we are working on a possible liveaboard in Komodo so I'll most likely be asking more and different questions!

Hi All

I recently made a 10 night trip in Alor with Damai Liveaboard - loved it! Started in Maumere, headed south around Adonara then to Waiwawong and into the pantar strait, down to Beangabang and then took a long cruise to Kupang - where we got stuck for the night due to the Bali airport closure.

I think if people are looking for big stuff then they will be disappointed, especially in comparison to Raja Ampat. We saw really healthy corals, some sharks and some fish schools - particularly around Adonara - but within the pantar strait itself our dives were mostly macro focused. We hit the new moon on our first day within the strait but no hammerheads, maybe not 100% in the correct spot but the cold upwellings had most of us wishing to stay in the shallows! our trips there in April/May we did spot a mola mola at Kal's Dream

That said, I thought Alor was fantastic, I've been twice before as cruise director, but the critters we found in the region are outstanding - loads of rhinopias, tiny frogfish, seahorses, octopus, ghostpipefish (halimeda variety was a first for me), over 100 nudis were identified, also pipehorses, cuttlefish, mandarin fish, lady bugs and those weird tongue parasites in anemone fish. Great variety and certainly rival other critter locations in Indonesia, but you have the added benefits of variety in the dive sites too.

The piers at Waiwawong and Beangabang are totally stunning with loads of soft coral encrusted around the supports.

One of the best things was the lack of other divers. Only at Pak Jan's Village on Pura island did we see another group, and even then only the cross over from their end and our beginning. The rest of the time it was just our group. The Blue Manta was around but we were never diving the same spots at the same time, which can happen in Raja Ampat.

My advice is to go there!

I recently made a 10 night trip in Alor with Damai Liveaboard - loved it! Started in Maumere, headed south around Adonara then to Waiwawong and into the pantar strait, down to Beangabang and then took a long cruise to Kupang - where we got stuck for the night due to the Bali airport closure.

I think if people are looking for big stuff then they will be disappointed, especially in comparison to Raja Ampat. We saw really healthy corals, some sharks and some fish schools - particularly around Adonara - but within the pantar strait itself our dives were mostly macro focused. We hit the new moon on our first day within the strait but no hammerheads, maybe not 100% in the correct spot but the cold upwellings had most of us wishing to stay in the shallows! our trips there in April/May we did spot a mola mola at Kal's Dream
That's probably why you shouldn't dve Alor on a live aboard.... simply because they don't know where to look for.
If you wanr big stuff, consider staying at a resort with people wjo know the places. Timing is critical when diving Alor.

Just jumped on this post. Did someone mentionned Tubataya reefs on a LOB?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom