Almost ready to make my first purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess where I am?

Jersey city. The Heart of Hudson!!!

I truly cannot wait to leave this place. An example: Last year we had a property tax reduction of 20% at the state level but the raised local property taxes 35%, so in the end we still had a higher property tax.

It blows my mind why people continue to live here.

I would love to move to AK, but my wife requires warmth ;-)

Yeup. I grew up in Union City. Hubby in North Bergen. We went to college at St Peters in Jersey City. I know *exactly* what you are talking about.

Did I mention we have no state income tax here in Alaska? The mill rate here in Anchorage is $13.78. I'm only paying $4300 a year in property taxes.

You really do need to get the hell out of that place...

PS
Down parkas and bunny boots provide a lot of warmth :)
It's really not that cold here. Only a few weeks out of the winter in 10-15 below zero temps. The rest of winter is around 0 or 5 degrees. The summers are awesome!! It doesn't get dark here now until well after 10pm.

So if I choose to go with Cresi Regulators, it wouldn't be a bad choice?

They seem to have a good balance of value and quality for warm water divers. For cold water (under 60 F) they seem to have issues, but I never plan to dive under 75 F

So I took all of your advice and made a new list of items I may purchase if I like them at the store.

Zeagle Scout BCD
Oceanic Alpha 8 CDX5 Reg
Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo
Oceanic Veo 100 dive computer console

Seems to be an ok beginner setup

If you are in NYC then check out Pan Aqua on W.43rd st. Stand up shop that is authorized for all the brands they carry. Scubapro, AquaLung, Oceanic etc. Worth the trip to the West 40's.

Good luck with your first purchases!!

If you are looking at the Veo 100 computer I would suggest doing a side-by side-comparison with the Veo 100 NX. The 100 is an older model which was replaced with the 100 NX. The NX version is also capable of handling Nitrox mixes. While you might not be diving Nitrox right now, as your dive experience grows you might want to look into whether Nitrox would be a benefit to your diving. While the NX is a bit more expensive at the outset it would mean that you would not have to get another computer to run Nitrox in the near future. Don't want Nitrox right now? just don't select those functions- it's as easy as that.

just my 2psi!!

I really like my cressi regs. I've dove in water down to 48 degrees and had no problems to date. Doesn't mean it will never happen though. For what its worth, I have the Cressi Ellipse Titanium.

Brad

Back
Top Bottom