Almost ready to make my first purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for gosh sakes dont buy dacor and dont buy a kit.

If you want something good for cheaper look at Deep sea supply for a bc system and look at dive rite, salvo, scubapro for regs.

I pass by lesiurepro.com every day in NYC, I just haven't had the chance to go inside yet. Maybe next week I'll go in and have a talk with them.

Thanks again for all of the advice

Also be aware that LeisurePro doesn't offer warranties for many of their items. I strongly suggest that you go to a real dive shop. One that is close to where you live so you can develop a relationship with the owner. That's how you start to get deals on equipment and they will provide you with some very good technical information on your gear. Assuming you have a good LDS (local dive shop).

I also have to throw in my cents and advice against Dacor. Suggest you look at Scubapro, Zeagle, Apeks, DiveRite, DSS, or Oceanic.

Man, I wish I found this forum 3 weeks ago as I would have saved a lot of research time

I do not think I will go for the above package anymore. Just because I need a light BC to travel with, I think I will go with the zeagle scout if it fits nice. As for the wife, I'll make sure she comes along with me to get a great fit.

As far as regulators and a oct, I might go with Cresi. For warm water divers, they seem to have a good balance of value and quality.

I really appreciate all the advice and can't wait to really start giving input on this forum to help others.

I would go to a LDS in NJ, but in general any non-name brand shop in NJ is a bunch of snakes! This is why I make a lot of online purchases.

I have been screwed in this state by so many local shops that I refuse to support any of them. Not to get political, but NJ is crooked from the Gov't down to the lay person. I can't wait to leave this hell hole and dive in peace :)

Well, it seems scuba pro can only be bought in retail and not online.

And I see they have pointed out lesiurepro.com big time!

So if my LDS happens to be a big online retailor, I guess that is not always a big plus :-(

I would go to a LDS in NJ, but in general any non-name brand shop in NJ is a bunch of snakes! This is why I make a lot of online purchases.

I have been screwed in this state by so many local shops that I refuse to support any of them. Not to get political, but NJ is crooked from the Gov't down to the lay person. I can't wait to leave this hell hole and dive in peace :)

Hubby and I grew up in Hudson County, NJ. The most corrupt county in the state with a vicious Democrat political machine. We escaped 20 years ago and never looked back. Alaska is everything that NJ isn't :D.

We have room for a few more escapees if you ever decide to come our way...

Don't worry about LeisurePro, they stand behind the stuff as well as the manufacturers, and if you live there then you really have the bonus of being able to go in look and try. Plenty of great brands out there. But you may want to have some more diving to try different setups before you invest a lot.. I know, it is really hard 'cause you just want to have it though :)

Hubby and I grew up in Hudson County, NJ. The most corrupt county in the state with a vicious Democrat political machine. We escaped 20 years ago and never looked back. Alaska is everything that NJ isn't :D.

We have room for a few more escapees if you ever decide to come our way...

Guess where I am?

Jersey city. The Heart of Hudson!!!

I truly cannot wait to leave this place. An example: Last year we had a property tax reduction of 20% at the state level but they raised local property taxes 35%, so in the end we still had a higher property tax.

It blows my mind why people continue to live here. We paid $6,200 in property tax for an 825 sq/ft condo last year. Blows my mind away!

I would love to move to AK, but my wife requires warmth ;-)

Don't worry about LeisurePro, they stand behind the stuff as well as the manufacturers, and if you live there then you really have the bonus of being able to go in look and try. Plenty of great brands out there. But you may want to have some more diving to try different setups before you invest a lot.. I know, it is really hard 'cause you just want to have it though :)

Thats good to hear. I'll stop by then for sure in the next 2 weeks. I just have to find a time slot that both my wife and myself can make it in.

But you are right. I am very new and do not have a lot of experience, but I am doing an 8 day dive trip in the keys late August.

I really need my own equipment so that I just jump in my boat and go!

The only thing I am looking for right now and not sure if they do it is if some LDS rent tanks for the week and I pay for fill up's as I go.

I kind of want to wait on the tank purchase, but if I need to I will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom