Almost a thousand dollars for a light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like it would be easier just to develop a night vision enabled mask.

Look you don't have to sell your kids for a new dive light...I mean come on just sell one of their kidneys, do you know how much kidneys are going for now a days? Hell, you could even get a halcyon canister light for that wad of cash...:wink:

just think tho if you sell one of thier kidneys AND one lung you could probably buy a complete Halcyon rig....:rofl3:

But seriously what type of diving do you do?

bite the bullet and get yourself a Salvo.

:) You'll be ever-so-glad once you do

If youve got the money or the kids have spare organs go a cannister light if not then Dive Rite make a 500 Lumen LED for $360 which is kinda nice, I own the 300Lumen version its a nice bright light, 12 hours burn time at full output and 30hours usable light on 8 AAs and if you wnat you can buy a corded unit to turn the handheld into a cannister "type" set up for an additional $160 which enables you to use it with a goodman handle, I own that too not sure if id recommend it as its a fair amount of money just to make the light smaller in your hand .And with it being LED the bulbs/diodes are vitually bomb proof, which is important coz you often encounter bombs when diving eh...good luck

having said as DiveRite have just released the 500 version of the 300 for the same price as the 300, I would say that in the very near future you will be able to buy old stock 300 version at a heavily discounted price.

Read the "What gives with Diverite?" thread under lights, someone said NorthEast Scuba Supply is selling the 300 for $250.

As said below "light envy is a real disease...ha ha and with it being light generally the brighter the better. (I dont wanna start the whole LED Vs HID argument). get the best you can for what you use. Goodluck

you don't *need* a can light for wrecks, but you'll *want* one. light envy is a real disease. :wink:

watch the 'for sale' sections here & on thedecostop.com. sometimes when people upgrade, the old stuff goes up for sale. i got my first light, an 18w frankensartek, that way.

and don't knock kids, folks. my baby gave me my new salvo for christmas, bless his itty heart! :D

Yes, people do upgrade. I picked up our second backup HID light (HID lights are a disease in and of themselves -- as my dive buddy this morning and I agreed, once you have one, you'd rather not dive without one!) for $400 -- off this board, if I remember correctly. It's not a Salvo, of course, but it works.

It really depends upon the type of diving you'll be doing and the conditions. I see that you have less than 24 dives, assuming your profile is correct. Make sure a canister light will be needed for the type of diving you'll be doing. I didn't buy mine until I had over 80 dives and was sure it would help me do the dives I enjoy (Great Lakes wreck diving and Midwest quarry diving) more safely and enjoyably.

Don't sell your kids. Buy a sewing machine and put them to work in the basement. You know, your own sweat shop. Then you can buy lots of lights!

Just for reference I bought a used Sartek 10W HID can light for $375 used.

Back
Top Bottom