Allowing Certified Diver to join in Scuba Class with SO / Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamike16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am pretty new here and I really love this board and find it very informative. I have a question and wanted to get your thoughts. Were you able to join your significant other or buddy when they got certified even though you were already certified? Example Boyfriend is scuba certified and Girlfriend wants to get certified and asks to be the GF’s partner in the pool and is willing to pay a fee to the dive shop to do it, no teaching by the already certified diver, just being their partner, teaching is what the Dive Instructor is for. I thought it would be a good idea seeing that you would be diving with that person and you could learn together and look out for each other when you are diving and if anything should happen how to help each other. I am curious how some of you feel about that and especially if you are a dive shop owner have you had this brought to you by customer.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. :D
M

I generally think that this is not a good idea. You can work on the buddy skills with SO later after (s)he is certified.

I agree, my wife found it much easier to do when I was not there. Me being there added pressure for her to feel like she had to do everything perfect. Let the SO get certified, then do some easy dives to work on improving her skills.

I doubt you'll find many instructors that will go along with this idea. Even though the diver is certified, the instructor doesn't have a clue as to how competent a diver they really are. Having an extra diver to keep an eye on is probably more of a hassle for the instructor than they want; especially if that extra diver has a strong emotional connection to the student. Also, they might not even be allowed to do so by rule/agency standards.

I've had several students who were there with their SO in my classes . It's been an issue a couple of times but nothing serious. I had to split one couple up but the vast majority are just fine with doing an "update" while their SO takes the complete course. I did this myself once. When I had been diving 30 years I took the open water class when my wife took it. I did not bother to tell the instructor that I had already logged thousands of dives. I worked hard at keeping my mouth shut and allowing the instructor to instruct.

I also had a future instructor sign up for one of my classes with his wife. He also kept his mouth shut about being a diver but while I was working with his nervous wife I noticed him laying on his back in the pool blowing perfect bubble rings. That was a hint that he was going to be very easy.

AOW? The class has degenerated to five guided dives - whether extra people are there or not doesn't make much difference.

OW? Not sure. Any kind of peer pressure can throw a student off. And having the spectator try to 'help' can do more harm than good especially if they have no training in teaching.

All the cases I've seen were the typical "wife/girlfriend wants to get certified, husband/boyfriend wants to be there" you're talking about. And in every case, the idea came from the husband/boyfriend...

It sounds (generally speaking) like a bad idea.

Well this is an interesting question with as many answers as their are dive shops. I love to go with my LDS when they are certifying new students and they are ok with it. One thing I do is upfront tell any of the students that have certification related questions I am not the one to ask but ask the instructor and kindly point them in the right direction.

Now I also have done some non educational things to assist the classes like plant the flag, maybe sit at the bottom of the buoy while classes are in session (Out of the way of course) and just make sure that if something should happen such as weights fall off a student I can help find them.

One thing to remember about this and its a simple solution is if its a public lake or area to dive in then remember your certified so while class is in session do some dives away from the class and just enjoy yourself while the instructors are busy teaching :) just make sure unless they specificly ask you to do an errand or something of that nature you just let them do what they are paid to do.

Ive come to appreciate going diving with newer divers because they are still open minded and willing to listen to advice as opposed to trying to teach an old dog new tricks so I spend most of my time with the classes :)

There are some that will probably have some off the wall remarks about me doing this but its only my view for what its worth :)

This can be extended to parents or grandparents /siblings and siblings/siblings.

I try to discourage this by telling them a few stories about how this has gone bad. Not only is this a distraction, but it also puts additional pressure on the student being certified. It is somewhat distasteful having to be in the middle of a student and their SO when problems and arguments begin developing. I have had to ask people to get out of the pool.

I have also had the noncertified SO request that skills be done on the other side of the pool then the certified SO that was observing from out of the water.

If they insist on coming, I have them agree not to "instruct" while I am instructing. They usually get the point and don't bother coming.

I don't mind if the certified divers come to OW, but I prefer them not to be in the pool. The already certified diver wants to help the uncertified diver (being a loved one) but the student has to assemble/disassemble, buddy check etc on their own. If the SO is there and a mistake is made by the new student then the new student can lose confidence, especially if the SO tries to help. I'd rather them learn from mistakes instead of feeling inferior to the already certified SO.

For OW, I usually recommend the certified diver come for dive 1 and dive 5, and sit the rest out.
The certified diver is on his own. Essentially they are told they are solo diving and they are not my concern, the students are.

I will allow a SO/ family memeber to hang out on the perimeter of the class with the distinct instruction that they must not interfere with the class in any way, before the class starts. That is if there is no apprehension from the student. If there is they will not be invited into the water with the class. Of, course they may do their own thing, they're certified & I can't stop them, but they will have nothing to do with the class. If that instruction is not followed, the SO/ family member will be asked to leave. To date it has worked. Not to say I may not have problems, but so far so good

Back
Top Bottom