All you Brits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathan

I'd heard Japan was expensive but that is ridiculous.

Will you get to see the Argentina game tomorrow?

BTW read your trip report on Bikini - very good

regards

Lets see...

1000 packets of crisps at 25g each = 25kg
1000 packets of crisps at GBP 1.20 each = GBP 1200
buy in bulk in UK for, say, GBP 100
25kg approx = airline baggage allowance
Return ticket to Japan less than GBP 1100...

Phil
:jester:

we could set up a neat import-export business with this.

No reason why it shouldn't work. There's a bloke up the pub who finances his holidays in Thailand by bringing back the fake gear - football shirts and jeans etc- and selling it over here.

It works the other way too - a brand new, fully speced MR2 for instance costs about GBP11,000 over here!!

Things I miss from home:
1. Decent beer! Though a new pub has opened selling Old Speckled Hen, heaven! Most pubs sell Bass - that doesn't even travel from Leeds to London, what hope does it have over here
2. Decent cheese - looking forward to some real mature cheddar...
3. Hob Nobs - we just destroyed 3 packets brought over by some mates
4. Natural blonde or red hair!! Add blue eyes to that and I almost got into real trouble in Sydney last month - I couldn't help but stare, sorry girls!!

It's not all expensive out here though - I am sending some DVD-RAM back to the UK. Apparently the 4.7Gb ones cost GBP29 but I'm getting the 9.4Gb ones for GBP14!!! So swings and roundabouts...

The expats not going to the game have invited themselves round to my flat tonight - time for some revernge on the upstairs neighbours and their load children!!!

Cheers
Jonathan

I live one street over to a grocery that has had to cater to an international crowd. They stock all my favorites: Blackthorne, Guiness, and a variety of ales of Irish origin. In Hollywood, the British Invasion re-occurs around music & drinks quite often on a micro-level. Whether the media is clever enough to pick up on it every time is a different issue. I still don't beleive that you people drink the stuff warm, though; I think you have hidden cameras in pubs where American tourists fall for that myth & grimace hilariously; "Britain's Funniest Pub Videos." Now there is reality TV for the (dr)(th)inking man! Oh, yes, and we have an area in Santa Monica that caters to British tastes. For cuisine, they have "The British Raj" restaurant; Indian food of the empire. We also beleive that Haggis is a myth.

what more can I say!! Actually with neaps and tatties washed down with some whiskey it ain't that bad - or was I that drunk.....

The real reason behind drinking what the rest of the world called beer cold is so you can't taste it!

Jonathan

The 4 day weekend was brilliant (thanks Queeny!)
I didnt do anything to celebrate the queens jubilee as London was heaving with people!
I did however enjoy a nice relaxing weekend of almost sun!!! :D

Jonathan,
We all know the reason Brits drink warm beer is that the refrigerators are made by Lucas Electrics. :)
Cheers,
Bill

Would you subjects of Her Majesty ask her to teach OUR monarch (her cousin) some manners; he's embarrassing us. Not every american calls the Russian leader "Pootie-poot." Kruschev's ghost is about to drop a paperweight on "the button.":wink:

Completely lost me on those last 2.

What's warm beer got to do with Lucas Electrics?

Absolutely no idea what art.chick is talking about - sorry

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom