For Sale ALL SOLD: A few lightweight s/s Freedom Plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in for a medium if it will fit me (5' 10-1/2", 31"- crotch to shoulder, so a bit long torsoed) - email sent.

I claimed (and paid for) one of the lighter ones! I guess I need to get around to shopping for a smaller wing (or two) so I can take proper advantage of my steel freedom plate and this new one.

I claimed (and paid for) one of the lighter ones! I guess I need to get around to shopping for a smaller wing (or two) so I can take proper advantage of my steel freedom plate and this new one.
VDH all the way baby! Go for the 18

OK, now I have to outfit it! :bounce: And I have some ideas for easy travel weighting ...

Thanks Eric!

I'm interested in the small, female 5'4".
Have a Hollis 25# wing, will it fit with your plate?
Thanks
I don’t have any experience with Hollis wings. Maybe someone here can chime in and comment on how close the Hollis wings are in construction and features/geometry to the Oxycheq/VDH style wings.
Meanwhile, I’ll try and do so homework on my own and see if I can come up with an answer.

I'm interested in the small, female 5'4".
Have a Hollis 25# wing, will it fit with your plate?
Thanks
I looked at pictures of the Hollis single tank wing and I looks like it probably won’t work. It has roll control logs/cushions but they are in the middle of the wing in between the top and bottom slots. What would happen is the tension of the cam bands will want to straighten out the curve of the plate since it will high center on those logs. The roll control cushions need to be directly at the sides of the slots (top and bottom), and there should be 4 of them. The VDH and Oxy wings are set up that way so there is no high centering. Also, if those are 11” center grommet holes, then the bottom slots are way too far down. The top slots look OK but too hard to tell for sure.
I would say the Hollis wings are a no go for the Freedom Plate.
The FP really likes the VDH and Oxycheq wings.

I looked at pictures of the Hollis single tank wing and I looks like it probably won’t work. It has roll control logs/cushions but they are in the middle of the wing in between the top and bottom slots. What would happen is the tension of the cam bands will want to straighten out the curve of the plate since it will high center on those logs. The roll control cushions need to be directly at the sides of the slots (top and bottom), and there should be 4 of them. The VDH and Oxy wings are set up that way so there is no high centering. Also, if those are 11” center grommet holes, then the bottom slots are way too far down. The top slots look OK but too hard to tell for sure.
I would say the Hollis wings are a no go for the Freedom Plate.
The FP really likes the VDH and Oxycheq wings.
Dive rite’s work well but you have to come up with something for roll control, really only needed at the bottom.

Dive rite’s work well but you have to come up with something for roll control, really only needed at the bottom.

Most people here dislike the DR wings "crosshairs" but I love the idea. Its the most compatible wing i've ever used and works with everything. Although my current fav is the vdh :)

Most people here dislike the DR wings "crosshairs" but I love the idea. Its the most compatible wing i've ever used and works with everything. Although my current fav is the vdh :)
I have bothe the 18 and the 35lb from VDH, the 18 is on the aluminum FP and I’ve removed the 35 from the SS FP because I like to add weight under the rail on my cold water gear. The VDH works with the weights but made things really tight, I have removed the insert from the roll control on the bigger wing but the material made adding weight more difficult. The DR wing is a little wider so that and the cross hair make it work better for my use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom