all octos should side exhaust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahem... All of your octos can be whatever type you want them to be. You can even work this out with your dive buddy.

Just be aware that there are other configurations besides the one taught by PADI/NAUI/SDI/SSI/etc. with the octo in the "golden triangle".

Moogyboy:
I will say this: it seems that several octos 1) don't have exhaust tees, and/or 2) are designed to exhaust right out front, over the front of your mask. That cute little Sherwood octo (the Minimus?) comes to mind. A nervous diver-in-trouble probably doesn't need a face full of bubbles. My inexpert opinion is that a side-exhaust would be preferable in that respect, unless they come up with a better exhaust solution.

Isn't a diver who can't handle some bubbles in their face really doing the wrong sport?

And if anyone is OOA, aren't they going to be so happy that they can breathe that a few bubbles shouldn't bother them at all?

SteveFass:
So from a DIR point of view, is there anything that is "the next best thing" to a long hose? An Air2 style devise is out because of the integration with the power inflator, and an octo is out because you're not handing off something that you know works and it takes more effort to find.

Which brings me back to the idea of an octo with a side exhaust. Theoretically wouldn't that be the next best thing?

From a DIR point of view, there is no "next best thing", dammit! (This is why I am not DIR)

But... Giving the panicked diver your primary reg works fine with a short hose. If you're not in a confined situation, it's easy for two divers to swim out of trouble without needing 6' of hose between them.

IMO, you shouldn't go in the water unless you already know that both of your regs work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom