all black wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caledfwlch

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a full bodied wetsuit that is all black, or mostly black with minimal or no logos?

Cheers!

Yep - we look for the same thing in our suits for commercial diving. We find that, since many colors require bleach to set the color in neoprene, the black lasts longer. Any time we've ever gotten a suit with "color" in it, it's that panel that falls apart first.

There's a lot of people here who will recommend Pinnacle suits (also nice quality), and of course, super-stretchy suits like Hendersons are very popular because of their "custom fit." However, when it comes to fit (the very most important thing in a wetsuit, in our humble opinions - any "gap" creates "flush," which will prevent the suit from doing it's job), we have found no suit to fit better than O'Neill suits.

The construction on an O'Neill is unique - all of the stitches on the suit are curved, rather than straight, which fit the curves of the diver's body better. As such, they can use a less "stretchy" neoprene over most of the suit (high-flex areas are still super-stretchy), which tends to last longer and keep the body warmer than an all super-stretch suit.

Their Sector lineup has all of it's seams taped and welded, too (reducing water flow and keeping the diver warmer), and a reduced-flow zipper that keeps much more water from flowing through the suit than other offerings in the marketplace. O'Neills also have a "firewall" lining that's similar to Pinnacle's offering in their Merino-lined suits, but less prone to "balling," easier to clean, and much easier to don and doff.

...But best of all, their Sector suits are all black. :) Their 5-mil suits are available in a black-on-black "camo" print that's super-cool and very unique, too.

We purchase our O'Neills exclusively through Austin's Diving Center in Miami. Talk to Dennis there - O'Neills are typically very difficult to find (the reason why we don't hear more about them), and his store is well-stocked year-round.

Tell him SeaJay sent you and I'm sure he'll hook you up. :)

Yea mate, I was actually looking at the Hendersons. Seeing as I'm not in the US, I don't think contactign the bloke you introduced would be a feasible idea for me. THanks for the info tho.

Keep em comin.

Xcel makes a good wetsuit.

Yea mate, I was actually looking at the Hendersons. Seeing as I'm not in the US, I don't think contactign the bloke you introduced would be a feasible idea for me. THanks for the info tho.

Keep em comin.
I had a 5mil Henderson Thermoprene and loved the super-stretchy fit, but at depth that 5mil was more like a 3mil at best due to super-stretchy compression. For all it's stretchiness however, it always bunched up around my waist which allowed for pockets of water.

SeaJay hooked me up with an 5mil Oneill Sector in December. It's much stiffer and more dense so it won't compress nearly as much, and it also doesn't bunch up around my waist like my Henderson did.

-Tim

Keep em comin.

Austin's Diving Center ships internationally - they're in what is probably one of the most "international" cities in the U.S. - Miami. :)

O'Neills (and many other brands) are made in the U.S., so you'll probably end up shipping one way or another.

...Which is actually to your advantage with the exchange rate the way it is. :)

Personally, I've never been a fan of Henderson's fit - that's why they popularized "super-stretch" neoprene in the first place... Because they weren't known for a very good fit. :)

I'd definitely recommend trying one on before buying a Henderson.

Yep - we look for the same thing in our suits for commercial diving. We find that, since many colors require bleach to set the color in neoprene, the black lasts longer. Any time we've ever gotten a suit with "color" in it, it's that panel that falls apart first.
I have never found that to be the case. I put so much wear and tear on a wetsuit in my hull cleaning business that the high-wear areas (knees, neck seal, wrist seals, zippers etc.) fail long before any entire panel, colored or otherwise can fall apart.

That being said, I have taken to wearing all black just because I prefer it, not because of any functionality issues. My wetsuits are custom from Otter Bay in Monterey.

Otterbaysuits.com Homepage

Back
Top Bottom