All about putting stickers and decals on cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James299:
Are there reasons for not plastering stickers all over your new tank? I can imagine that of course you don't want to cover any static test indicators or VIP certification labels.
JC

Stickers prevent a VIP technician from being able to inspect the entire surface of the cylinder. Theoretically you could be hiding a nasty gouge with Bondo and that humorous "Gin" label.

According to protocol, the technician is supposed to remove all stickers prior to evaluating the cylinder's surface condition. In reality I doubt any do this unless there's no space left to mount this year's 10" wide shop/agency advertisement, er, VIP sticker.

And, as others have pointed out, it doesn't take long anyway for the stickers to start looking pretty crappy.

What hasn't been mentioned is that to do a *correct* visual on a cylinder, all stickers must be removed, so they go bye-bye once a year.

The savvy shops will give you the option of the $10 visual or the $50 visual (pulling numbers out of the air). The difference being if you remove all your stickers before dropping the cylinder off, it's a $10 visual. If they have to remove them, it's the $50 visual.

Of course, more often than not you'll get your cylinders back with stickers intact, which means they didn't do a correct visual (but I bet they'll charge you for one)...

Roak

Ps. And as I was composing my reply, the removal of stickers for a proper VIP was mentioned! :)

Its the owner's tank and he can put whatever stickers on the tank he or she want!!!!!!!!!

its the owners shop and he or she doesn't have to fill your tank if he feels a sticker may be hiding an imperfection.

DOT standards. Remove stickers before inspection ?

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind slap a sticker over a flaw in their tank?! Oh wait I know a guy... never mind. Lunatic.

Regarding stickers causing "soft spots" and other weaknesses underneath them, I'm sure this happens but what is the frequency? Is it higher odds than my old Luxfer tank blowing up during a fill?
Now I'm ticked off at my inspector. I've had a big fat DAN sticker on my tank for God knows how long, and the thing's been sent off for hydrostatic testing twice. That sticker's still there, slightly worse for wear. Never once have I been told the sticker had to go... what's up with that?

archman:
. Never once have I been told the sticker had to go... what's up with that?

probably because DOT doesn't have a rule about stickers and a hydro isn't about looking for blemishes on the outside.

Has any one had to take it off for an annual visual?

Scubaddawg:
I Was not really expecting someone to belive the idea was good , more as a joke

Yes... in order to VIP properly you shouldn't have any stickers on the tank as it can conceal defects in the tank... but since you are only doing VIP once a year here is a site that has some cool stickers... I like the absolute myself:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Tanks.asp

They suggest you stick the VIP on the bottom of the tank.

I have a Luxfer AL80, on the bottom of the tank is my VIP, right above the boot is the wrap around Nitrox Sticker, and above that is a big monstruous Grateful Dead Sticker. Maybe it says, "I'm a big weeny and I'm not a techie", then again maybe it says "I love the Grateful Dead and this cool sticker", or maybe it says "He just really wants a skull and lightning bolt on his tank". Whatever. If someone thinks I can't dive b/c I have a big sticker on my tank, they can come look at my divelog first, my certifications next, and then get a big glimpse of my butt b/c they're judgemental over my stinkin' tank. Whoptee friggin' do. I bought the tank, I'll do with it as I please. I don't walk over to your car and say "this is a crappy car and you don't take care of it". And I don't go over to your house and say "WOW, this carpet is sooooo tacky". Just my soapbox.

Dee:
Mike, stickers can hide any corrosion or other loss of integrity on a tank. They are inspected on the outside as well as the inside. That's why I put any stickers I like on the tank boot.

On the other hand, as roakey mentioned, Aqualung puts one of their big oval stickers on their tanks so what's the diff?

You can put all the stickers you want on a tank....you just should scrape them off before inspection!

get "shrinkwrapped" on... so when you need to get it viped you just remove the wrap and you can reuse the graphic by purchasing a new wrap.

scubatoys:
Keep in mind that these are not stickers... there is no adhesive. If they were stickers, they'd be a pain in the ass to remove. Instead they are just sheets of printed plastic that wraps around, then is shrink wrapped in place. If you do a decent job of shrink wrapping... which is easy - just hit it with the hair dryer... it won't trap any water. If it does... you'd be able to see it because it's clear shrink wrap over the plastic graphic.

Are you guys resellers for Todd??

I remember when he launched these - his site has the same things.
http://www.scubahides.com/coming_soon.php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom