All about Halcyon wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found a shop in Tx, the 1st I checked that can sell me a 36 lb Pioneer wing for $300, I am sure there are better prices out there so can some one point me in the right direction? I dont have a local source near me.

You're going to have a hard time finding a discount on Halcyon stuff. They have a pretty strict "Fair Trade Pricing policy" and to my knowledge, you can only find their gear thru authorized dealers.

sylvester once bubbled...
I have found a shop in Tx, the 1st I checked that can sell me a 36 lb Pioneer wing for $300, I am sure there are better prices out there so can some one point me in the right direction? I dont have a local source near me.

Oh my gosh!! I nearly broke out in a rash when I saw your location. Been trying to forget that place for 18 years now!:)

You were quoted a better price than retail. Here's a couple of places to reference for price.

FifthD Pioneer wings

Extreme Exposure wings

Or thats what I keep telling myself, because someone else in thier infinate wisdom thinks I should be here for a 2d time, and Ive had to start believing that.

Hello, I'm new to the board and have been reading it now for a few weeks. I was planning on buying a Halcyon setup for local and travel diving. I was looking at the 18# pioneer wing, SS backplate. I normally dive with a 3MM shorty. Will this be enough lift for a steel 98 CF tank with H valve, two Apeks DS4 and 19CF DECO bottle? Or should I be looking at the 27# wing? Divers Discount has the 18# wing for $144.95 is this a fair price or can I do better somewhere else? Last question, If I get the SS/BP with harness, wing and BC cylinder bands, is that all I'll need to have a dive ready setup? Thanks for your help, I've learned a lot from just reading this board and all your opinions!

coconutvee once bubbled...
Or should I be looking at the 27# wing?
I would suggest the 27# wing since the 18# does not connect at bottom and afaik has been discontinued. The 27# is very streamlined.

Also if you do go with the 18# you would need an STA.... if you get a new 27# you can use the built in STA.

Of course there is a significant price differential... so you could buy an STA and have $$ left over. :D

Halcyon just made a special run of them...

============

Hello All

Just to let everyone we now have in stock Beautiful 18# Batwing which is the best wing in the world for single aluminum tank diving in warm water which we have here in sunny south fla.

We have 20 in stock and ready for delivery just call or e-mail.

Thanks

Dave Carmichael

Brownie's Southport Diver's
1530 Cordova Rd.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316
954.524.2112 phone
954.524.7598 fax
dcar@tankfill
www.yachtdiver.com
Yacht Diving Our Specialty
Halcyon and Dir Center for South Fla
Just across the street from the Quarterdeck.
Right around the corner from Waxy O'conner's

==================

As Dave states, I wouldn't use the 18 for anything but and AL80 and a wetsuit in salt water with a SS backplate. It's real marginal in fresh.

Given a steel for backgas, a stage and three regulators I might even consider the 36, but more importantly we should debate your choice of backgas cylinder.

Roak

I just got my wing today. Its a 36lb Piioneer. My question is can I change the inflator hose so it has a pull dump? I know the assembley off my Scubapro is the wrong size. Is there a kit or componet that will fit on the Halcyon that will allow me to have a pull dump?

This isn't answering your question, but I have the same wing, and the lack of a pull dump is not a problem. I rarely even use the rear dump - you can fully empty the wing on the surface with just the inflator dump. Because the wing IS the bladder, water pressure quickly squeezes all of the air out of the wing, and it goes near totally flat.

Halcyon intentionally omitted the inflator hose pull dump from its wing design. You won't find a conversion kit available from Halcyon. You might be able to find an aftermarket hose that *might* fit. I think Bob3 posted some information on hose vendors, but I don't know if those sources made the valves or just the hose.

As Scubaroo said, you really don't need an inflator pull dump on the Halcyon wing. My Halcyon wing vents plenty fast through the inflator nozzle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom