All about Halcyon wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bengiddins- No wonder your backplate detached from your wing if you were using a "slightly longer" version of the storage pack bolt! There does not seem to be a good way to tighten these up at all, unless you maybe glue the flat sided part so it will not spin!

Dave

I've been using my Halcyon wing for about 10-15 dives now. When dumping air for the initial descent, I use the corrugated hose. Once underwater or during an ascent, I usually always use the rear dump.

I was diving Nubble Light in Maine Monday night. The first time I reached back to use my rear dump, I realized that the bottom of the wing had somehow become caught up under my tank, putting the rear dump at a wierd angle and making it hard to find. If I was in a horizontal position, it appeared to be perpendicular to my body, with the face of the valve pointing towards my feet.

Since we were in shallow water, I gave the ascent signal and up we went. My buddy submerged and tried to find the problem, but he could not free the wing. We continued the dive and I used the inflator hose for dumping.

This raises 2 questions:

(1) For wing users, which dump do you normally use and why? Does one seem to offer better control than the other?

(2) Have you ever had your wing get caught as I describe above??

Thanks.

-LD

I usually use the LP inflator. I think I've used the rear dump once, and that was just to try it out. I've got about 20 dives on it.

Are you using the integrated cam straps without bolts to hold the wing to the backplate? Maybe there was some "slop" that allowed the wing to get get tucked under the tank, or you just fitted the tank on the wing with it doubled-under and didn't notice. Sounds like a once-off problem anyway.

Until recently, I used the shoulder dump almost exclusively.

Now that I'm ascending and descending horizontally, and have learned the technique for finding the lower dump even with coldwater gloves on, it's the lower dump that I use almost exclusively.

large_diver once bubbled...
This raises 2 questions
1) I usually use the inflator dump... when horizontal on ascent it only needs to be raised a little to let a small amount of air out... this controls the ascent nicely if done often enough. I'm sure the effect could be achieved using the rear dump but I find the inflator dump more precise for me.

2) No.... you need to inspect your setup better before the dive so this doesn't happen again.... sounds like you must have folded your wing under the tank and then clamped it down.... but when correctly oriented the rear dump is going to be perpendicular to your body anyway as the wing wraps up along your tank.

TIP (worth repeating) :
To find the string on the rear dump grasp the dump making a circle with your index finger and thumb... close this circle and you will be holding the string... pull to dump.

I also primarily use the unflator dump. About the only time I use the rear dump is on descent, head down and cranking for the bottom...

Tom

LG,

I use the inflator dump, BUT will try the rear dump this weekend when diving in Brewster or Hathaway's.

See ya
eric

I use both. I have a little better feel for how much air I am letting out when using the inflator ( I have used it more) Lately I have been using the lower dmp alot and am getting very comfortable with it.

I use the rear dump except when on the surface...been doing this for about 50-60 dives and haven't had any problems other than sometimes (with gloves esp.) not being able to locate the string quickly.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

1) .....
TIP (worth repeating) :
To find the string on the rear dump grasp the dump making a circle with your index finger and thumb... close this circle and you will be holding the string... pull to dump. .....

U_P,

I've used this method every time since you showed it to me. It works great, and I think of you every time I dump air!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom