All about Halcyon wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know where to start with this one:wacko:

The lack of a pull dump is considered by most to be one of the good things about the wing so I don't know of anyone who has ever tried to do it.

Ok, just for S&G's I took a pull dump hose that happened to be kicking around off of my old poodle jacket. It fit on my Pioneer wing just fine and held gas as well. So the answer to your question Sylvester is yes it can be done. Why anyone would want to do it, that is another question. I'll tell you what though, if you really want a pull dump inflator assembly, I will trade you for the one on your Pioneer. You better check with Halcyon first though as I think this may void your warranty.

Whats a PULL DUMP INFLATOR HOSE? I thought all inflator/deflator mechs worked the same - you press the button and the air gets released.

What other way would there be to do this - other than the rear dump valve?

there is a valve on the wing/bc end of th hose attached by a lanyard to through the hose to the inflator so when you pull on the inflator it dumps air.

I used the in the pool to play with it the other night. I like it , and im not sure how I feel about not having a pull dump. I am going to Mermet Springs this weekend and I figure how I feel about not having the pull dump then.

I also received my STA yesterday. Its a heavy 1 piece from AUL.

How do you use the cam bands its there a right and wrong way?

Since the bands beng attached to the wing and BP will wrap around the STA do I need to thread them through the slots in the STA?

Only one of the band slots on the STA lines up with the BP/Wing band slots?

Or is it just user preferance?

sylvester once bubbled...
I also received my STA yesterday. Its a heavy 1 piece from AUL.

How do you use the cam bands its there a right and wrong way?

Since the bands beng attached to the wing and BP will wrap around the STA do I need to thread them through the slots in the STA?

Only one of the band slots on the STA lines up with the BP/Wing band slots?

Or is it just user preferance?

If your using a STA the straps go through the STA only and not through the wing or backplate.

The only time the bands will go through the slots in the wing and backplate is when you are using one of halcyons wings with the built in STA.

If you have the newer style halcyon wings you might have to remove the two rods from the wing to make it work with your one piece STA or it probably wont sit right.

So decide if you want to use a external STA or the built in version on the wing(if you have that version) as you probably cant have both.

How do you remove the rods from the STA? I was able to attach the STA to the wing but haven't mouned a tank to it yet.

I've seen somewhere a post on scubaboard of somebody doing it.. but youw ould have to search for it :)

Basically you will need to perform a "surgery" on your wing: make holes, pull out the rods, use some glue or something to seal the holes.

I am using the integrated STA in my halcyon wing and i don't see any problems with it, the tank sits there pretty much secure and immobile.

I don't think you _need_ to remove those rods if you are using STA... after all halcyon does sell separate STA that goes over the wing....

sylvester once bubbled...
How do you remove the rods from the STA? I was able to attach the STA to the wing but haven't mouned a tank to it yet.
I would suggest that you do not remove your built in STA rods but rather use them instead of the external STA. The built in STA (rods) works very well especially with the SS camband buckles Halcyon now supplies.

But... if you must:

Find by feel the two rods sewn into the wing on each side of the mounting holes and at the top of of each rod pocket make an *incision* with a hot knife just large enough to extract the rod.

Using a hot knife will seal the nylon and keep it from fraying.

Making the incision at the top of the rod pocket will allow you to reinsert the rods without them falling out should you realize that you made a mistake in going with the serparate external STA.

With the STA mounted and tightened down the STA is sitting squarely on top of both the build in rods. So I am thinking all should be well, and I should be able to try it with the STA wih out operating on my wing? Thanks for the advice about the hot knife.

I did notice in the pool with just the BP and wing I was making contact with the 1st Stage when I would look up. That is why I wanted to try the STA and also to get some wgt off my belt.

Back
Top Bottom