All about cylinder inspections & training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can understand your dilemma... especially if there is a dearth of divers to be had. You are right in that I don't have to worry about that down here. Lots of shops and a whole lot of divers. I think our bibbest problem in Orlando is the LACK of trained professional tank inspectors. I have an appointment to check into doing the SCBA inspections for two Fire Departments... their inspector is NOT certified. One of the local LDSs has inquired as to whether I would work for them. I might do it on a limited basis just for the experience. In fact, the reason I do it for friends is just that... experience. I already run my own consulting business, but I see that we have a real need for a PSI instructor here in town. After I get a thousand or so tanks done I will look deeper into it!!!

As for the neck stickers, my instructor did not have them, and I have to wait for my "official number" to order them from PSI... at least I think I have to wait. I want to get the NitrOx stickers too.

Originally posted by NetDoc
As for the neck stickers, my instructor did not have them, and I have to wait for my "official number" to order them from PSI...
Unless you think you're going to get a lot of Argon bottles I wouldn't bother with the neck crack inspection stickers. They're only for cylinders that don't hold a breathable mixture. Breathable mixture bottles get the Nitrox or air EOI stickers only.

I think maybe I'll email Bill High and see if they can be had in small quantities.

Roak

But it only takes doing 4 to pay for the lot of stickers... I never go into anything half way.

Originally posted by NetDoc
But it only takes doing 4 to pay for the lot of stickers... I never go into anything half way.
Neither do I, but the math says:

I only do my own cylinders.
I only own one Argon cylinder.
I only have to do a crack inspection in my Argon cylinder once a year.

Therefore, 100 stickers will last 100 years.

And I don't want to be buried with my leftover crack inspection stickers. :)

Roak

You put a very mild abrasive inside a cylinder and the tumbler rolls it, taking off any superficial rust and/or contamination from the inside surface of the cylinder. It’s only done when the inspector can’t see the cylinder walls well enough to carry out a good inspection or when a cylinder is being O2 cleaned to allow partial pressure blending of Nitrox.

Roak

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
What is it?
What is its purpose?

Hey Tom,

A tank roller is used for "tumbling tanks". This is where you put aggregate (walnut shells, pumice, etc) and a solution (simple green diluted with water) into a tank and then roll this tank for 4 to 8 hours. It is used to clean corrosion (FeO or AlO) from the inside of a tank to be better able to inspect it or to clean it for NitrOx purposes. All it does is slowly rotate the tank in a slightly inclined position. It will NOT reduce pitting but will make the extent of the pitting far more obvious.

As I understand it a tank needs to be visually inspected if it gets drained under water. And normally after visual inspection it gets filled or at least enough air put inside to keep the valve from unscrewing.
Those of you who do your own VIP how do you accomplish this. Do you have a bottle that you transfer some air from or do you have a small compressor?

Tom

Each valve has a torque specification... go figure. Those valves you can knock off with your hand are not torqued down tight enough. Yes, I have the set up to torque them puppies down, and that's just what I'll do. 30 years in the automotive field has provided me with enough tools to equip any shop.

Back
Top Bottom