Ali Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming you're diving in the UK, where you would be wearing a heavy (buoyant) wetsuit, or a drysuit, a low pressure steel tank would be a better option than an aluminium tank for you, as the steel tanks are more negatively buoyant in the water, meaning you can reduce the amount of lead on your weightbelt. A high pressure steel tank may have different buoyancy characteristics I'm not aware of (never used one), but you can generally find out the buoyancy of a particular tank by doing a search on the web. Here's an example of a tank chart, there are more comprehensive ones out there, that will give you both full an empty buoyancy characteristics of a tank. Be sure to compare a few and see if they make sense, there is a lot of erroneous data out there on this subject.

Point in case is the Pressed Steel 104's characteristics given in that particular table, which shows a buoyancy shift of only 2.8lb from full to empty for a 104cf tank! 104cf of air weighs approx 7 or 8lb (someone's bound to jump on me and give the exact amount).

On the subject of being jumped on, no need to correct me anyone for the usage of the word "aluminium" over "aluminum" when speaking to a Brit.

Back
Top Bottom