Alert horns and sirens??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timakempton

Contributor
Reaction score
What do people think of these alert horns and sirens that you connect inline on you BC line? Are the worth the money? Are the useful or an annoying toy that gets over used?

I have two dive alerts. Would only take them on ocean dives. I also was talked into an underwater version. Never take it. Will sell cheap. Use proper buddy skills and it's not needed. What makes a device annoying is not the device. It's the way a diver uses it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I think they're good in theory but humans being humans, they abuse them. On the surface they're extremely loud, which is a good sonic distress signal.

Underwater they could be used for the same purpose but instead are used more often to say "look! a lionfish"

They should be owned only by those with utmost restraint.

Had found two, and was in the process of killing one, lionfish. Honker saw the second lionfish, maybe six feet from me. He honked loud and long. I stopped what I was doing, signalled OK, pointed at the second lionfish, and returned to my task. He kept honking and honking. Finally I stopped again, waved wildly at him, and pointed at the lionfish saying loudly, "I know! I saw it! Okay?" and pointed to the lionfish already on my spear. Fortunately the second one didn't hide from his crowding it, and I got it, too.

Back on the boat, he asked, "Did you get the lionfish I showed you?"
I asked, "The one you were screaming at me about? I had seen them both and was killing the one closest to me first. When you first honked, I signaled OK and pointed at it."
He replied, huffily, "I wasn't screaming. I didn't see you point."
My reply, "Sounded that way to me."
I swear I heard some snickers...

Yes, many abuse them.

I've had one for 150 or so dives. Honked it less than 10 times, and at least two of those were at DM request.

I've had one for many many years, and to the best of my recollection, have only honked it once to get the boat's attention and then on shore to test its continued effectiveness. I'm not giving it up or taking it off my gear. As long as it works, there may come a day it will come in quite handy. :wink:

Last edited:
In an surface emergency they are great. Under water I hate them. I have been on guided dives that the guide honks and honks and honks. I hate them.........

Two weeks ago I was on a dive and the captain/DM just kept honking I finally swam the other way. He got annoyed and when we surfaced I told him this was the last time on his boat unless he ditched that stupid thing. The second dive he honked asked what psi I had and I gave him my pressure by hand signals and he honked again and I did it again and he swam over and grabbed my Gage's and swam away. On the boat I told him to never touch me and learn how to read a response for pressure.

I like to dive to relax and have silence not to listen to quack,quack, quack for the whole dive. Again they are great for surface signals since they are really loud. Just remember they do not work if you are out of air.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I hate the underwater ones too. If I am buddy diving, there should be no need for a noise maker, you should be paying attention to your buddy enough not to need it.

I have a surface only one for emergencies and for me its a reasonable piece of my signaling kit.

I've got a Divealert, hardly ever used it.

I think they're a good idea for ocean dives. Got a whistle for backup as well.

Surface Dive alert is mandatory piece of kit for all of my d.m`s and all customers on open ocean dives, we have no coast guard, no S&R..we are on our own.
All of my rental bcd`s have smbs and all of my shop regs have a dive alert.
This is an essential piece of safety gear. Those of you that have them and want to sell them cheap...I will buy all that are offered to me.

The underwater only ones are totally useless, and I cringe every time I see one. All they do is annoy the people around you. The surface ones have some benefit, but if the wind is blowing, and the boats motors are running the distance is going to be way more limited than you would hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom