Alert Diver does Sports' Illustrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watergal

Reaction score
Anyone seen the Feb. edition of Alert Diver/Skin Diver "dive suit" section and cover. I am usually pretty thick skinned, but I think I am either offended or disgusted--not quite sure which. Especially to have DAN involved. Anyone else?

Yeah... :yuck: disgusted works for me, no matter who is involved.

With the exception of an occasional advertisement in various dive magazines, the industry has thus far resisted such blatant t*ts and a** mentality. I guess the powers that be at DAN and Skin Diver want to attract more testosterone laden, single digit IQ morons who fall victim to that preposperous, little girl come hither look above a lycra clad chest.

I would think it would be the honorable gentlemen divers who think with their large head with the brain in it and who have respect for their female counterparts in diving and themselves that would be offended and insulted by it.

Off my :box: now.

Hey, I got good money for modeling in that shot!

Seriously, I was quite surprised when my issue just came today. Geez, I guess 911 hit them hard, and they'll try anything to sell magazines. Same excuse I hear all day, so many businesses use everyday.
I don't think there is anything we can do, other then stop buying the magazine.

Originally posted by watergal
So what do we do about it?

First, I'd write to the editor...I'm sure it won't be the only one!

Show your displeasure with your greatest weapon....your money! Don't patronize the companies involved and depending on how strongly you feel, cancel your subscription and tell them exactly why.

I am not paying for any subscriptions other than DAN membership and I still think DAN is an worthy organization. I don't wan't to bite of my nose and DANs nose over this. I guess a letter to the editor is it. And maybe a letter to the sponsors, St. Vincent tourism and maybe letters to other major advertisers in the issue?

I quit subscribing to Skin Diver many, many years ago. I do get it now that it is sent to DAN members FOC.

I have yet to see this issue that has everyone in an uproar, it must be terrible to get such a reaction. MIne will probably arrive today while I'm on the other coast diving.

Keep one thing in mind, this is Skin Diver magazine, DAN has no control over the content.

DSSW,

WWW™

Ladies,
As a male, I can't honestly say that I was offended by the pictorial(?) in question- but I do recall flipping right past it, in search of material appropriate to a dive magazine. I recall being disappointed that it was not an article about suit design, materials, etc.
It was the least read segment of the magazine for me. In fact, I paid it so little attention, that I had to recheck the issue after I saw this thread. I don't read dive magazines for fashion(?) advice, and if this was an attempt to increase readership totals, it was ill conceived,an inappropriate for a magazine that is aimed at the diving community.

If you are offended by the pictures, let SD hear about it.
If that magazine purports to be a magazine for divers, hopefully the editors will respect your opinions, as divers.
Good luck,
Mike

I agree with Mike, i received my issue and didnt really even notice
the cover until i read this thread, then i went back for a better view. It looks to me as if it was an attempt to gain more female reads, not to entice mne. Thats what Maxium is for.

But i am sorry that you are all offended.

Offended - not really. I see it as a cheap way of trying to get something. What I'm not sure as as far I as I know the mag is issued to those of us who are DAN members. I looked and sort of said geesh, then ignored it. I'm after the information not the pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom