Alec Pierce Scuba - Computer Video (split off from controversial thread Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most important thing for new rec divers to know is that the best computer you have is the one in your head. Your brain is your true backup computer (maybe your first and the ine you bought is your backup). Think about it
The computer in your head isn’t too useful if it has no information to go on. So if you cannot comprehend the depth, time, remaining no stop time, stop time or ceiling because you have not read the manual or been trained as to the meaning of the numbers you are completely guessing.

To be honest, my expectation of the rate of bends per dive would not change for typical tropical diving if the divers had no computers, just watches and depth gauges. The combination of guides, gas limiting the dive and the timing imposed by the operators would probably do just as well as a bunch of people carrying computers they don’t properly understand how to use.

The computer in your head isn’t too useful if it has no information to go on. So if you cannot comprehend the depth, time, remaining no stop time, stop time or ceiling because you have not read the manual or been trained as to the meaning of the numbers you are completely guessing.

To be honest, my expectation of the rate of bends per dive would not change for typical tropical diving if the divers had no computers, just watches and depth gauges. The combination of guides, gas limiting the dive and the timing imposed by the operators would probably do just as well as a bunch of people carrying computers they don’t properly understand how to use.

When I first started diving, I didn't have a computer and lots of other divers didn't either

I just watched the video. Entertaining as always. So it seems the context was a new diver who was frustrated trying to understand the manual. This is a diver who is going to be air-limited, isn't going to be pushing NDLs, doesn't yet dive Nitrox, etc. As I understood it, Alec's advice to such a person was simply to learn the computer by doing a series of easy training dives, observing what the display was showing throughout the dive, and then after the dive consulting the manual (whether printed or online) about anything they didn't understand. That way, the diver learns the most important things about the computer first, and gradually learns about everything on the display, in non-intimidating chunks. That's the message I got out of it. Will most divers follow this advice? I don't think MOST divers are intimidated by the idea of learning their computer before diving with it. But for those who are intimidated by manuals, it seems like reasonable--and reasonably safe--advice. I did not get the impression he advocates jumping into 60 ft of water with zero knowledge of the computer.

By the time that diver progresses to the point where he is getting closer to NDLs, starts diving Nitrox, etc., consulting the manual should seem less intimidating. By then, the diver ought to be aware of such critical things for the "advanced" diver as what happens on the screen when NDL counts down to zero.

This is the diver who's going to surface from a dive on his long awaited vacation with his new computer locked out and not understand why. Chances are it won't be because he is in imminent danger of DCS, but because he forgot that his computer reset his mix to air or penalized him for a rapid ascent or not holding a "required" stop to some certain window. New divers with inexpensive recreational computers are the ones who have the most need of understanding their quirks.

This is the diver who's going to surface from a dive on his long awaited vacation with his new computer locked out and not understand why. Chances are it won't be because he is in imminent danger of DCS, but because he forgot that his computer reset his mix to air or penalized him for a rapid ascent or not holding a "required" stop to some certain window. New divers with inexpensive recreational computers are the ones who have the most need of understanding their quirks.

As I understood the video, he wasn't advocating a diver go on vacation with a new computer he hasn't learned yet. He said he told the guy who was intimidated by the manual--apparently what prompted this video--to go ahead and go for a dive before reading the manual, with these caveats: "Make sure it is a completely basic dive--a safe, simple dive. Twenty feet. Warm water. Close to shore . . . ." He advocated learning the computer "over a period of time," presumably before the diver takes that long-awaited vacation. And one would think that as the guy is a new diver, even on vacation he's not going to yet be approaching NDLs but rather will be air-limited, not to mention limited by a guide or boat rules to "be back in 50 minutes," etc. I would agree, however, that if that's indeed what his ultimate message was, he should have been more explicit, even stating it at the beginning of the video rather than the very end.

I have two computers: a Scubapro G2 and Scubapro Tec 3G. The G2 I can use mostly without the manual as the menus are self explanatory and the display is intuitive. The Tec 3G I definitely do need to consult the manual even to just change the FiO2 of my Nitrox. I have both manuals stored in my iPad as PDF files so I don't need a hard copy. I think he makes a point that as the displays get better the info displayed is more understandable and intuitive.

Still there are details you need to understand from the manual, such as when you see Gas Time Remaining does it take into account the gas used in the descent and stops? You need some basic understanding of what display is showing you. Also you should know what a deco display looks like as it's easy to slip into accidental deco at depth.
And I agree that it's best to manually turn your computer on and make sure it checks out OK before entering the water.

.r will be air-limited, not to mention limited by a guide or boat rules to "be back in 50 minutes," etc.

How will the diver know when 50 minutes has passed if he doesn't know which buttons to press to get to the screen that either tells the time or displays DTR?

Watch.

...he forgot that his computer reset his mix to air..
I'm all the time forgetting to set my mix. I don't want to have to remember to do so, and in fact I don't want to do so at all. So it occurs to me: transmitter pods should have analyzers in them to set the appropriate air or nitrox level on the computer, and probably also to check for CO, and to do other handy things, so I don't have to worry about it. Just like I don't have to worry about what I'm breathing when I'm walking around town, because my brain adjusts to conditions and our president keeps makes sure the EPA keeps the air clean. No more analyzing at the dive shop? Beauty! I also want a tank that changes color with pressure, so I can tell at a glance what's going on.

Even if a new deco algorithm comes along that drastically outperforms what we have now, that can be implemented with a software patch.

I would think a deco algorithm that "drastically outperforms" would have to be installed in my cardiovascular system... does it take a picc line to inject a software patch intravenously?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom