Aldora Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just give them your requests (sooner the better) and they will do their best to make it happen.
Not my experience. I put some serious time into writing a thoughtful document to those guys - explaining what we were looking for and asking some very specific questions. All I got back was a short reply, telling me to look at their website. Not real helpful, esp since their website didn't answer my questions, AND the first thing I said in my document to them was that I had been spending serious time checking out their website. Overall, I was fairly disgusted at this example of their customer service - esp. since it is supposed to be so good.

Not my experience. I put some serious time into writing a thoughtful document to those guys - explaining what we were looking for and asking some very specific questions. All I got back was a short reply, telling me to look at their website. Not real helpful, esp since their website didn't answer my questions, AND the first thing I said in my document to them was that I had been spending serious time checking out their website. Overall, I was fairly disgusted at this example of their customer service - esp. since it is supposed to be so good.

Sorry to hear that.That's unfortunate. I wonder who sent that back to you? You should contact Dave Dillahey, the owner, who is on this board occasionally. You can bring your concerns/questions to Memo Mendoza's attention. He is in charge of day to day operations on island. You could also ask Julian who works behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly at the shop. They have a U.S. based phone number (210) 569 1204.
I have never had a reasonable request denied.

Clarification about the snorkeling...
My wife does not dive as she almost drowned in an undertow in Lake Michigan as a child. Trust me I've tried to get her to do a resort course, snuba, get in a pool with some gear... She won't do it. She is afraid to immerse her head completely underwater. But, she loves the water and snorkeling so she can see marine life. Soooo. What I was trying to say was that if you are with people who do not dive, you can charter a boat and have your non-diving friends follow along snorkeling above you on a shallow reef. Meanwhile you and I get to log some more bottom time:D:
Combination Dive and Snorkel Tours
We have done this a couple of times. I took my 66 year young mom with snorkeling, on one of these tours. For years my mom never had understood why I love to dive. The 1st thing she said to me as I got out of the water. "Now I understand why you love to dive". She loved it! To get sarted. Tell the shop/divemaster you are interested. Pick a nice smooth day, (gage on your morning dive) as no one likes to be on the surface bobbing like a cork on a rough day. If you do not have enough people to fill the boat ask other divers on your morning dive boat or at your resort who might be interested.

Right or wrong. FWIW I usually do not carry a snorkel while diving in Cozumel.

My experience with them was outstanding, on one occasion I was the only diver and they still took me out. Very nice people.

Kay and Greg are the managers of the Villa, but they don't have anything to do with the dive shop, so if your questions were related to the diving, I can understand why they punted. They are really lovely people who go above and beyond on service for the folks staying at the Villa, though. For example, they drove us into town to go grocery shopping, the first day we were there. I thought that was a lovely and unexpected touch.

Hmm...interesting. I sent my email to the address on the website. Not sure why it made its way to them instead of the people who actually know something about diving. Even so - seems like they should have routed it to the right people, rather than basically telling me to kiss off. Oh well ):

Dear Nude Diver,

I am so really very sorry about the lack of response from our organization. As you may tell by other responses, that is not the way we normally do things. Please PM to dave@aldora.com so I can get to the bottom of this anomaly--and maybe make it right.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I'll back up Dave. When we stayed at the Villas, Dave was there with his family for a day, as were Kay and Greg. They were top notch, also running us into the store for some grocery shopping. The boats picked us up right at the villas, and when I got bent so badly I couldn't walk anymore, they were there to squire me around to the chamber and try to get me fixed up. I ended up in Houston to get repaired, but that's another story. I highly recommend the villa and the dive op.

All: thanks for your responses. Maybe my experience is just another strange aberration in the universe.

Dave for president!!!:D
Just kidding Dave.:wink:
Nude, I knew Dave would see this and get back to you.
Kay and Greg have always gone above and beyond our expectations while staying at the Villa. We consider them friends. They are both divers and I'm surprised they didn't transfer you to the shop. There must have been something out of ordinary going on.
Even though they risked getting the wrath of the on island taxi "mafia" they would drive us to the dive shop, Caletta, food occasionally. Couldn't always drive us but they did when able. Heck, I remember when Greg used to meet us at the airport. Can't do that anymore:no:.
On island Taxi "mafia" is crazy along with the "Colectivo's" when you clear customs at the airport.It would be nice to just hop in a cab and get to the villa/resort. I understand they need to make some pesos but it is a tad ridiculous when just arriving from along trip.
My last Cozumel experience:
Last year I decided to get my AOW and rescue diver cert. My dive buddy has the same certs. I figured if he was capable of saving me I should be capable of saving him. After a few calls down to the Aldora shop and speaking with Memo. I realized that I could get all of my book work done before heading down and do all of my practical work in Cozumel. While some people might want to spend their vacation time differently. I looked at this as a challenge. Some might say that I would get preferential treatment with all of my logged dives with Aldora. Not the case. Dive-masters Mateo and Liang had me doing all of the things that were expected of me for my AOW and rescue diver cert respectively. No corners were cut. They were both very thorough. Mateo also certified me for NITROX a few years ago.Besides being great dive-masters Mateo and Liang are a wealth of information. We would be conversing during the surface interval about what was expected of me on the next dive all the while gently working in questions that I should know the answers too. We also worked in our review of my answers to my knowledge reviews (book work completed in the states). Liang handled the rescue diver portion of my training and also observed some of my AOW skills/dives. The rescue diver class was probably one of the most rewarding certs I have. It was not easy nor did I expect it to be. Liang stopped by the Villa to explain what was expected of me before the rescue diver portion was to start. I did my morning dives, some being AOW skills/dives. Then I think I was probably in the water another 2-3 hrs a day, for two days, while practicing and perfecting my skills for the rescue diver cert. Even in the water I was constantly asked question as to what I should do in certain situations. Then just when I thought I was done there was the 50 multiple answer test after all skills were accomplished to be rescue diver. Pheww... When I got back I needed a vacation from vacation.I am proud to have Aldora's name and dive-masters names on my certifications. They are truly the Best of Cozumel!
Maybe we'll see you in the spring Dave!
Joe

Back
Top Bottom